or Connect

Posts by poke

I ordered online in the UK. It was saying "2-3 weeks" as soon as ordering opened. My predicted delivery date is 26th April. Hopefully they're just being conservative with their estimates and I'll get it before then.
I've been wondering if OS X 10.8 will just be a version of iOS 6 or 7. The way I see this happening is that Apple will add a "Mac" UI idiom to iOS similar to the Chameleon Project that will allow iOS apps to run in Lion with a Mac UI.http://chameleonproject.org/ But using a single universal binary that can be compiled in XCode. So you could make a single universal iPhone/iPad/Mac app. Then the Mac and iOS developer programs would be combined and the Mac App Store would...
It's insane. Here we have a major corporation that just unceremoniously dumped its existing plans and went back to the drawing board after merely seeing the competition (which has been out for all of a week). We don't even have iPad 2 sales figures yet. There's nothing good that can be taken away from this story. Unless you're an Android fanboi, that is, in which case now is the time to argue why you're going to be buying one of these new tablets! The multitasking has...
"App Store" was not in general use before Apple's App Store. In fact, before Apple came along, hardly anyone said "app." Now it's common usage. But Apple popularised it. Take a look at this Google Trend data: http://www.google.com/trends?q=app%2...n%2C+app+store "App" is now a more common search term than "application" and is about equal for news references. You can clearly see this started with the launch of the App Store in 2008. So I think Apple has a good case...
The Register is basically a tech tabloid and they never miss an opportunity to take a shot at Apple. It sounds like it's probably just a bug.
I don't think it's a problem. The important thing to realise is how manufacturing has changed since the "Mac vs. PC" era. When the original Mac was competing with IBM compatible PCs, all the companies, including Apple, had their own manufacturing facilities. The reason the IBM compatible PCs won was because all the manufacturers combined had more manufacturing clout than Apple alone could ever muster. That's no longer true. In fact, the exact opposite is now true....
I wish people would stop saying it's an incremental update. The iPhone 3GS was an incremental update. The iPad 2 has a new body, a new CPU, a new GPU, a new battery and the addition of cameras, a gyroscope and CDMA support. This is a device that doesn't have many parts, so I fail to see how updating the majority of them is 'incremental.' The only part that wasn't updated was the screen and the only reason people expected that to be updated was the "Retina Display" rumour....
That's not been mine experience. The online response to the original iPad was one of irrational seething hatred. It has yet to dissipate. I could count the number of people who heralded the iPad as revolutionary after the announcement on my fingers. Many more "got it" after the initial sales figures came in although the "consumption device" meme is still strong.
I think iPad sales will overtake iPhone sales in a year or so. The iPad is the real revolutionary product. The iPhone will eventually be seen as just a phone with a subset of iPad functionality. Not everybody needs the Internet and apps in their pocket, but everyone needs the Internet and apps. The product that everybody said was a pointless toy is, in actuality, computing coming of age. The world will remember that its arrival was met with a howl of rage from IT nerds...
If the Motorola Xoom and HP TouchPad are Apple's best competitors then they have nothing to worry about. The Xoom was half-baked and the TouchPad is a carbon copy of the 1st generation iPad. When it arrives in the summer it'll be about a year too late. The Ars Technica review of the Xoom makes me think Android 3.0 was as rushed to the market as the Xoom itself. Maybe the really real competition arrives with the Android 3.1 tablets.