or Connect

Posts by poke

I have mixed feelings. It looks to me to suffer from some of the same problems as Windows Phone. Some of the screens look messy and visually ambiguous because they're too flat and not differentiated. If you look at Apple's website, make sure you look at it on a retina display. It looks absolutely awful on non-retina displays, but much better if you open it on a retina iPad. The icons look terrible regardless. Like clip art. Some stuff, like the weather app and the...
Apple obviously wanted to eliminate the 3.5" iPod touch and removing the camera was the only way to meet their price point. I think this means we're going to see the rumoured low-cost iPhone. The upcoming iPhone line-up would be the 4S, 5 and 5S. Only the 4S would have a 3.5" display. If Apple is instead going to introduce a low-cost version of the 5 then it won't want a 3.5" display in its iPod touch line-up either. Note that the old 3.5" iPod touch didn't have a...
Design and marketing? What an incredibly insulting and ignorant way to characterise Jobs's contribution.
This is nonsense. Microsoft managed to get the licensing agreements it wanted from nearly all the Android vendors. Apple managed to get the licensing terms it wanted in its settlements and also got a cross-licensing agreement with Microsoft. The Samsung case isn't over yet, so we'll see how that goes. Apple's suits were never about "thermonuclear war" or "hindering competition" (both notions are completely absurd), they were about licensing terms.
    EDIT: Duh. I'm looking at the American data, you said world wide. Apologies.     Time to update your data.   http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/index.html   Apple is now the 6th largest company in the world by revenues, 2nd largest by profit.   Guess phones are big business after all.
Good article. iOS is in the "Windows position" because it's a coherent platform. For whatever reason, everybody has conveniently forgotten that Microsoft's success came from defending its platform and destroying anybody who tried to copy it or build on top of it, not from merely being widely used. Apple solved that problem with the App Store model. Google apparently isn't even interested in having a platform. It just creates a set of open source APIs and hopes...
  Here's a dictionary definition for "skeuomorphic": "an ornament or design on an object copied from a form of the object when made from another material or by other techniques, as an imitation metal rivet mark found on handles of prehistoric pottery." More generally it's taken to mean any element that copies familiar elements of some other material, like faux wood panelling. Like I said, it doesn't really apply to digital media at all, because all digital media is...
  A skeuomorph is a kind of ornamentation, so the correct use of the term is for things that have no functional role. An icon is never a skeuomorph and neither is a symbol. Shading and shadows are not skeuomorphic either. Stuff like leather stitching, torn bits of paper, and textures like faux wood effects are usually what people are referring to as skeuomorphism. But, to be honest, the application of the term to digital media is problematic, since digital displays are...
  I'm hoping this redesign is as much about making the in-built apps genuine Apple services as it is about aesthetics. The skeuomorphic look works in discrete apps with limited functionality but to add more interoperability and greater functionality and make them first-tier Apple services I think they need a redesign. So hopefully that's what this initiative is really about. Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Mail, etc, should be Apple's focus going forward. It's where they...
  Or it "screams" that the next game changing product won't cost $100 billion to develop any more than the Mac, iPod, iPhone, or iPad did.