or Connect

Posts by poke

It's British English.
I think we're going to see an Android massacre in the US. It's difficult to tell the extent though. The iPhone has been supply constrained for a long-time. Tim Cook said they took a gamble by getting 14 million iPhones manufactured in the 3rd quarter of 2010 and sold all of them (hence the massive spike in sales) and were then still supply constrained in the following quarter. In other countries where the iPhone is available on all carriers, it tends to lead the smart...
This is a big shake up however they spin it. I can't help but think the fact that it followed the iPhone on Verizon announcement, the poor showing at CES, the near universal negative response to the decision to drop H.264 from Chrome and the news that Apple sold 16.4 million iPads isn't a coincidence.
Yes, but what are we basing the idea that this is an "abrupt jump" on? As you say, nobody is using ultra-high-resolution 9.7" displays, but does that mean we can't make them? Do we really know when the iPhone 4's retina display became cost effective? The article on Moore's Law and the retina display makes the following assumptions: "We can assume that the biggest screens at "retina" density as of the iPhone 4's release - 960x640 in June 2010 - was the state of the art at...
I think they do have to disclose their expenses but I don't think they had to give the level of detail they did. It was mentioned as an example of what they're doing with their cash reserves. I think it was Cook who said it was an investment in a particular type of component and likened it to their investments in CPUs and flash memory (but clearly suggested it didn't belong to either category). I don't think he had to say any of that.
My theory is they're going to offer app developers online services. Right now if you're an app developer and you want to do something involving connectivity or online storage you need your own servers or hosted servers. Apple could offer an expanding set of online services for messaging, syncing and storing data online, etc, exposed through APIs in iOS that any app developer can exploit without having to think about backend development. I think this idea is potentially...
I think there's an obvious explanation for the 2x art in iBooks even if the iPad 2 doesn't have a retina display. Obviously there are prototypes of an iPad with a retina display at Apple. (If I recall, it was John Gruber who said iPhones are on a 2 year development cycle, so right now the iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 are in development. I think the same is probably true for iPads. Right now the iPad 2 is nearing completion and the iPad 3 is in the early development stage.) Now,...
I'd previously suggested that the iPad 2 might have a higher price point to accommodate the rumoured new screen technology. The average selling price for iPads was $600. With the entry level iPad being $499 I don't think that leaves much wiggle room in terms of price. However, Cook mentioned that they're investing in a particular area of technology, much like they have in processor development and flash storage, but wouldn't say what it was. I think it's likely he was...
I think one look at this display would tell you why they did it. The 2x wood grain texture they found in iBooks alone makes me think it would look absolutely incredible. The impact of the iPhone 4's display is attenuated by its small size. This would be mind-blowing. I think another reason they're going for high resolution displays is that touch computing lends itself to smaller displays. The iPad's display doesn't really feel small. The way you hold an iPad makes it...
I had intended to say the 32Gb Wifi+3G model but I can't find a source anyway, so I might have imagined it.