or Connect

Posts by poke

I'd previously suggested that the iPad 2 might have a higher price point to accommodate the rumoured new screen technology. The average selling price for iPads was $600. With the entry level iPad being $499 I don't think that leaves much wiggle room in terms of price. However, Cook mentioned that they're investing in a particular area of technology, much like they have in processor development and flash storage, but wouldn't say what it was. I think it's likely he was...
I think one look at this display would tell you why they did it. The 2x wood grain texture they found in iBooks alone makes me think it would look absolutely incredible. The impact of the iPhone 4's display is attenuated by its small size. This would be mind-blowing. I think another reason they're going for high resolution displays is that touch computing lends itself to smaller displays. The iPad's display doesn't really feel small. The way you hold an iPad makes it...
I had intended to say the 32Gb Wifi+3G model but I can't find a source anyway, so I might have imagined it.
I remember reading that the best selling iPad is the 16Gb 3G model at $629. Maybe $599 is the new entry price for iPad 2. But you get a dual-core CPU, dual-core GPU and Retina Display. iPad 1 could be kept around at $399.
Yeah, that's insane. That's why I'm sceptical. On the other hand, there are images of the x2 assets they've found in the beta. Maybe it's just something Apple is testing but it'd be unusual for something like that to wind up in a public beta.
If this is true, it's going to blow the top off my skull. I seriously don't think they could put a display of that quality in such a low cost product. Especially when you look at what the competition are offering for the same price. It'd need a beefier CPU/GPU and more RAM. They'd still have to get a 10 hour battery life. It'd still need something like IPS for view angle. Can they do this? It sure looks like they plan to.
I think so. I'd personally prefer it if, say, HP/Palm and (to a lesser extent) Microsoft were the other big competitors in the smartphone/tablet space rather than Google and its coalition of the willing. I'm interested to see what HP will show next month.
It's important to remember that Google's customers are the companies that advertise with it and not its users. So Google puts its own good ahead of the good of its users as a matter of course. If it didn't it wouldn't be serving its shareholders. A good analogy for Google's business practices are those of other advertising-supported businesses. The television networks, for example, are notorious for treating viewers badly because viewers aren't their customers. That's why...
I think there's a lot of confusion on this matter. Google simply doesn't have the power to force people to adopt WebM. Dropping H.264 in Chrome is, to my mind, an entirely cynical move aimed at propping up Flash with the intention of damaging Apple. Consider the following: 1. Google has said they will remove H.264 support in HTML5 from the Chrome browser. It has also said it will supply WebM plugins for other browsers. 2. Google's Chrome browser will still ship with...
I think the iPad 2 is likely to have a GSM/CDMA Qualcomm chip. That's been rumoured for a long time. Possibly the iPhone 5 too. I also think we're likely to see an 'A5' chip in the iPad 2 and iPhone 5. I'm very sceptical about the iPad 2 having a higher resolution display or the iPhone 4 being a complete redesign. iOS 5, on the other hand, I expect to to be a major overhaul.