or Connect

Posts by poke

It'll be interesting to see if future versions of Apple software will be App Store only or will still be available on DVD. I have a feeling iWork '11 will be App Store only.
It's a fascinating example of how out of touch the tech blogosphere is. The comments on Engadget were hilarious. They were claiming Apple doesn't innovate and that the Atrix shows true innovation! These people truly live in a world of their own. It's a lame gimmick with absolutely no mainstream appeal.
I didn't see that. They show pretty much exactly the same stuff they do in the video they had on the Xoom but it's obviously running live there. The only places where I think they're ahead of Apple are the task switching and the notifications. I guess widgets, too, but I've never really seen the point.
After all the breathless reporting of the Motorola Xoom, it turned out they were showing hardware running a video of Honeycomb and that's it. I think that about sums this CES up. If Apple did something like that the outcry would be palpable. No wonder investors are reassessing the viability of iPad competitors after CES. Besides the Xoom there wasn't a lot to show on the Android tablet scene; mostly they were 7 inch tablets running the phone version of Android. The...
I think this will severely impact Android sales. I think we'll even see people switching from Android to the iPhone. The iPhone's poor service on AT&T reached the level of pop culture in the US, being routinely featured on SNL and late night talk shows. It was also a major part of Verizon's campaign against the iPhone. This is now coming to an end (with no less than Verizon itself making the announcement). That's a big deal in terms of public perception. Since there's...
I think this year is going to be crazy. Apple has 5 product lines now (iPod, iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple TV) and they're likely to update all of them. They've also got OS X 10.7 Lion coming and no doubt iOS 5 too. It's going to be announcements and product launches all year long.
A CDMA phone is new hardware. There are many other carriers in the world that use CDMA and will likely get the same phone at some point in the future. I think it'd make more sense for Apple to announce it except for the fact that getting Verizon to do it looks like capitulation on Verizon's part. Verizon has been the main force behind Android adoption in the US. Come Tuesday that ends.
If Apple makes the announcement, they have a new partner. Big deal. If Verizon makes the announcement, they're switching allegiances. It's all about perception. By saying that Apple will keep it low-key, I mean Apple's involvement in the announcement will be low-key, not that the response to the announcement will be low-key.
I think that's what Amazon is doing with their app market. Amazon could be the eco-system for all non-Apple devices. That's when things would get interesting. The question is whether Google/Microsoft/HP/etc and Amazon can play nice.
This is perfect. If Apple do the announcement and have Verizon show up, that's one thing. But if Verizon does the announcement, it's almost like an apology. I suspect Apple will keep it low-key. Jobs might not even show up.