or Connect

Posts by poke

Here's a dictionary definition for "skeuomorphic": "an ornament or design on an object copied from a form of the object when made from another material or by other techniques, as an imitation metal rivet mark found on handles of prehistoric pottery." More generally it's taken to mean any element that copies familiar elements of some other material, like faux wood panelling. Like I said, it doesn't really apply to digital media at all, because all digital media is...
  A skeuomorph is a kind of ornamentation, so the correct use of the term is for things that have no functional role. An icon is never a skeuomorph and neither is a symbol. Shading and shadows are not skeuomorphic either. Stuff like leather stitching, torn bits of paper, and textures like faux wood effects are usually what people are referring to as skeuomorphism. But, to be honest, the application of the term to digital media is problematic, since digital displays are...
  I'm hoping this redesign is as much about making the in-built apps genuine Apple services as it is about aesthetics. The skeuomorphic look works in discrete apps with limited functionality but to add more interoperability and greater functionality and make them first-tier Apple services I think they need a redesign. So hopefully that's what this initiative is really about. Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Mail, etc, should be Apple's focus going forward. It's where they...
  Or it "screams" that the next game changing product won't cost $100 billion to develop any more than the Mac, iPod, iPhone, or iPad did.
Now OS X has so many iOS features, it'd be hard to show one without the other, I think. The updates to built-in apps and iCloud will be the same on both. Presumably if iOS is getting a new look, OS X has to get a new look too, since the OS X built-in apps have the same skeuomorphic elements and textures.
These guys always seem to forget that Apple makes the iPad. iPhone growth might slow because they've saturated markets in the developed world, but the iPad still has a long way to go. Margins will shrink but revenues will keep growing.
There's a simple reason for all this: Apple has a lot of cash. Wall Street wants that cash and will stop at nothing to get it. They don't care about the business, they don't care about the products, they don't care about the CEO, they don't care if Apple is still around in 5 years (or even next week). They just want the cash. It's driving them insane seeing all that cash locked up in a viable business. It'd be so much better for them if Apple was in crisis and the...
  Apple said they had a higher mix of the iPad 2 in their iPad sales than expected, causing a reduction in ASP after the iPad 3 was introduced (this was before the iPad mini).
How to win a Pulitzer:   - cite a compulsive liar as one of your main sources - task one of your employees with creating an app to show that nobody can make money from apps; when his app is successful, remove him from the story and publish it without including any details of his project - write a story about how Apple's retail employees make less money than AT&T and Verizon employees, but neglect to mention that AT&T and Verizon employees make more money because...
  Not really. We're talking about whether tablets can replace desktops in principle, not the current practical issues keeping this or that person from switching to a tablet (i.e., lack of power, lack of certain apps, lack of certain OS features, etc). Personally I think the trucks and cars analogy is wrong. It's more like the transition from the tiller to the steering wheel. Nobody steers their car (or truck) with a tiller anymore because a steering wheel is a much more...