or Connect

Posts by poke

I just want to hear Ive say that Windows Phone is absolutely the worst UI he has ever seen. That would be reassuring.
I'm kind of hoping there's more to this. There was a rumour some time ago that Ive was angry with Jobs because Jobs failed to acknowledge Ive's contribution to iPhone. Supposedly the whole touch device thing started as a project in Ive's lab (there's something about this in Isaacson's book too). What I'm wondering is whether Ive actually has a particular vision of where to take iOS and Forstall was opposed to it, preferring something more conservative, and that was the...
I think the reason for this is hiding in plain sight. iOS and OS X are being integrated. There can only be one guy in charge of OS development and they chose Federighi over Forstall. There will still be two different operating systems for consumers but they'll share much more code, be developed in tandem by the same team and will be a single platform as far as developers are concerned.
I think this is the most significant iMac since the original. The original iMac was a computer people wanted because it looked great. This is the first flat panel iMac that really has the same aesthetic impact in my opinion. Up until now they were merely functional. I want one.
My problem with maps isn't so much accuracy as the lack of quality satellite data in the UK. Given that Google doesn't have satellites and they just buy this stuff from other companies, I can't see why Apple doesn't have comprehensive satellite data. Maybe they ran into problems integrating it all. In my experience, all these mapping services, including Google Maps, are inaccurate when it comes to locating addresses, but Google Maps had quality satellite data and Street...
  Their manufacturing costs have almost doubled in the run up to the iPhone 5 and that has been historically linked to the number of iPhones they sell. So, if anything, 46.5 million is conservative.
  It's difficult to see where an iPad mini could be priced. $349? $399 and it replaces the iPad 2?   Maybe there's no iPad mini at all?
Apple makes its UIs look like stuff, sells millions. Microsoft makes its UIs look like glossy magazines, impresses designers, fails in the marketplace.
This is about survival for Amazon. Most of the things they sell are going digital - books, music, movies, games, etc - and the two major mobile platforms have their own stores (iTunes and the App Store on iOS, Play on Android). If Amazon doesn't control their own platform they're totally screwed in the long-run. The pricing is aggressive but you have to wonder if it's sustainable and whether it will scale. Apple famously spends a lot of money to secure components to...
I think this is shaping up to be a great phone. I like the unibody design. The thinness of the glass is crazy. I think the long, slim design could actually turn out to be very cool. I suspect we'll see Android phones copy it. Samsung is probably working on the Galaxy Slim as we speak. By next year we'll be hearing that the slim design is inevitable and the idea of a wide phone is ridiculous.