or Connect

Posts by arlomedia

Steppenwolf Theatre is around the corner, and there are several locally-owned restaurants and shops nearby. So I take your point about chain stores, but come on ... people with no knowledge of this neighborhood need to stop being so judgmental about it.
Actually, the various lines of the CTA were developed by private firms around 100 years ago, but when those firms started going bankrupt, the city government stepped in to save the infrastructure. Since this kind of thing is still happening today (e.g., General Motors), I don't understand how the myth persists that corporations always manage money better than governments. I don't understand the economics of mass transit, or how the CTA was able to renovate several of its...
Amen. And on that note, I wish people would stop conflating Obama with old Chicago machine politics. He was an outsider when he arrived from Harvard and I don't think he ever got into that scene, although he takes a lot of pride in the city, as do many of its residents.
I've never understood why people opposed to environmental protection policies regard them as some kind of left-wing conspiracy, so maybe you can explain this to me: who exactly would profit from inventing a threat from global warming?I know who would profit from denying the threat -- all the business who are making money from the status quo, and most particularly business that generate greenhouse gases, like the auto and oil industries, and the politicians supported by...
"The report suggests that AT&T's reputation could be tarnished because, for some users, its network is unable to keep up with demand." COULD BE tarnished? Ha! There are two things keeping me from getting an iPhone: 1) no tethering, 2) AT&T.
I did one or two projects with Amaya and it was close, but didn't quite cut it for me and I went back to Dreamweaver. The only reason I've upgraded any Adobe product for the last ten years is to keep compatibility with OS updates and with colleagues who update their versions. I'm a web developer who codes by hand, so I just use Dreamweaver for marking up HTML and I just use Illustrator and Photoshop for tweaking the designer's files and exporting slices. I don't recall any...
At least they're responding to the new Microsoft ads, but didn't those start months ago? Are they even still running? (I don't watch TV, so the only time I see the Apple or MS ads is when AppleInsider posts them!)
This sounds like good news for Exchange users, but as a SOHO user I have no need for Exchange, and there's no way I would want to complicate my life with Outlook. I'll keep using Entourage for now, but I'll keep an eye on Apple Mail updates and start thinking about a switch. I'm also planning to buy iWork along with Snow Leopard when it comes out, so it looks like MS Office is going to be playing a smaller role in my computing life over the coming year.
You missed Booga's point that reselling or donating (legally it's the same thing) his CDs while keeping a digital copy wouldn't be legal. Keeping a copy of CDs you check out from the library isn't legal, either, but I'm guessing you already know that since you put "borrowed" in quotation marks.
Sounds good, thanks. I'm looking forward to the upgrade.