or Connect

Posts by arlomedia

I would think that would be the landowner's responsibility, or was at least factored into the deal in some way. (I just bought a house with an old fuel oil tank in the back yard, so I'm dealing with that in a small way myself.)
If the people in this ad are any indication, then it's pretty sad how little the average computer buyer understands about the products they're comparing. "Dude, these are expensive. They're pretty, though. Let's go look at some PCs." If a computer buyer is that shallow, then it's their loss for not giving Macs more consideration. I don't doubt that most people shop by numbers. "That computer has 320 whatsits, and this one has 500, so this one must be better." That...
Although this post makes some great points, I don't think "choices" explains the preference for PC hardware for the majority of buyers. I would venture to say the biggest reason is "stereotypes." I still hear people say things like, "Macs are best for graphic design" or "my company can't afford Macs because they're too expensive" or even "I couldn't open that web page, it must be because I'm on a Mac." That being said, maybe Microsoft is on to something, since the purpose...
I think this is a great point. Some people like to fool around, install stuff, reinstall stuff, fix stuff ... but then non-technical users go to these "experts" for buying advice ... and end up with much more trouble than they needed.
I don't use Cover Flow in any of the other applications where it appears, but I think it could be really useful in Safari. Just the other day I was trying to find a previous website in my history list and it was nearly impossible, because web page document titles are usually so obtuse. If I'd have been able to see images of the pages I would have been able to find what I was looking for much more quickly. As for the "tabs on top" feature, I agree that it seems to be a...
Yes! And does it have to start playing that crazy clarinet music when the application launches? (Maybe it doesn't do that anymore, I haven't used it in a while.) And take up several gigabytes on my hard drive? (Several additional gigabytes for each new version.) What happened to the box Steve drew on the whiteboard -- you drag your movie in and click Burn? I want that program! Actually, there's a feature that lets you just burn an iMovie file to a DVD with no menus, and...
Well, I'd say there are three groups of people out there: 1) People who will pay for the music they use, even if they have easy ways to get it for free. I might be the only person in the world who falls into this category, but I have paid for everything that's on my iPod! 2) People who don't really understand the issues behind intellectual property and DRM, and who will copy music if it's easy to do so, but won't bother to figure out how if it's less easy. I meet people...
Most musicians grew up on CDs, or LPs, and still see that as their medium. Besides the ability to assemble a specific sequence of songs, CDs provide opportunities for cover art, lyrics, etc. Musicians see this whole package as part of their creative work. The fact that musicians still produce CDs doesn't mean they don't think copying is a problem -- they just don't have a good alternative.Maybe not. But digital distribution without DRM basically comes down to the honor...
I don't think macologist was saying that the public should pay for musicians' art. I think he was saying that if it's distributed in a format that allows unauthorized replication, it becomes harder to support the continued creation of that art. Since your work fixing computers can't be copied and redistributed beyond your control, there's really no comparison.There's no problem with legally purchased content; the problem is if the content is then copied illegally. If I...
I'm a skeptic about advertising, and since I don't watch TV, I avoid a lot of it. I never even saw this TV ad. But long before the iPhone 3G came out, I somehow had it planted in my head that it was "twice as fast." Not sure where this came from ... I guess discussion sites like this one, and descriptions of AT&T's network in relation to other devices. And even though I'm pretty tech-savvy, it seemed believable that a network that used a different architecture could...