or Connect

Posts by dcrocks

I now know that my refurbished system is coming frpm Pennsylvania.
Where do mac mini's (new and refurbished) ship from?
Snow Leopard restored GD support in PHP. Any reason Apple couldn't add it back into Leopard as well? I have a G5 server and I would rather use Apple's PHP than build another copy of PHP just to get GD back. I've never seen any reason as to why it was dropped in Leopard in the 1st place.
Discussions elsewhere point out the need for both a 64 bit cpu and 64 bit EFI to enable a 64 bit kernel to default load. A kernel that has dropped 32 bit support will also need 64 bit drivers for all the devices in the box, whether from Apple or anyone else. Speculation is that 10.7 may drop support for core solo and core duo processors. From that discussion I expect core 2 duo processors will be good for the next 2 or 3 releases at least. So it sounds like the new iMacs...
I am looking at buying a new IMac and expect to keep the system at least 5 years. It will be a family system and, hopefully, more resilient to technical change than a system bought for more demanding purposes. I would expect at least 2 and maybe 3 OS upgrades in that period. Info on the net indicates that 64 bit support will continue to evolve with new releases and I would like to feel that core 2 duo technology will not constrain the functionality of new OS releases for...
I recently ran into a problem with some PHP code running on my server. When PHP pushed a FORM page, $server["REMOTE_ADDR"] always returned the IPv6 version of localhost(::0) but when a java applet pushed a FORM document it contained the IPv4 version of localhost(127.0.0.1). This made some IP based testing fail. I found a workaround(use actual ip:192.x.x.x) but was wondering about another way. Can this behavior changed by the order of the lines in etc/hosts? Can it be...
I just started to look at setting up some name based virtual hosts on my os x server w/apache2 and have some questions. Most of the notes I can find through Google refer to manual editing of files rather than using server admin. The questions I have are: 1) Is there a differences in how virtual hosting might be done in the different versions of leopard server; standard, workgroup, and advanced? 2) So far, all the instr on the web I have seen require modification of...
I kept looking for differences between the 'admin' account and my personal one. Turns out I had turned off all access to 'everyone' on my base user directory (/Users/me). Changed to 'read only', and personal web sharing works now.
I installed a clean copy of leopard on a new machine. Personal web sharing works on the 'admin' account, but not on any others. I get the '403' error on my personal account. The .conf file already exists in the proper place with the correct permissions. The default index.html exists in the in the Sites directory, with the same permissions as the one in the admin accounts Sites directory. One works, the other results in a 403 error. This system was built with the...
I am looking at replacing the boot drive in my Powermac dual 2ghz desktop. I am looking at the Samsung Spinpoint T 320gb ( HD321KJ ). It is inexpensive, quiet, cool, and low power (certainly comapared to the current seagate 7200.7). But the Powermac only supports SATA 1.5 gb/s whereas the Samsung is SATA II 3.0 gb/s. I know that some SATA II drives can be forced compatible to SATA and Samsung's web site indicates it is true for this drive as well. But it is not clear...