or Connect

Posts by NormM

Hedge funds invest in a combination of long and short positions, trying to get a good return with a reduced downside risk. They generally get a fee plus a percentage of the upside (2% and 20% seems standard).  Over the past decade they have significantly underperformed compared to the market average, and have not shielded their participants from risk better than index funds.  Some funds always do better than average of course, but what we've seen here...
I don't see why not. Apple just implemented the NFC secure tokenization standard. I expect Google to copy them, as soon as they give up on wallet.
16 bits is 65536 different levels of magnitude.  That's less than a micron in vertical resolution on the scale of the diagram you've provided!  That is, your diagram is bull.
 The logic goes like this:  If Apple does incredibly well, sell because it won't do that well again next quarter.  On the other hand, if Apple doesn't do incredibly well, sell because its big growth is over.  So regardless of how Apple does, the conclusion is sell.  Do you see the problem with this logic?
I doubt the headphone DAC is better than the one in the iPhone, but maybe there's some advantage to having it closer to the speakers. Apple also limits the analog audio output to frequencies humans can hear, so this would have advantages for experiments with dog hearing.
 There will always be some percentage of crazy sociopathic people in society hiding their proclivities, but it seems like a bad idea to create armies of angry desperate people for them to lead.  Isn't that how we got WWII? It also seems like a bad strategy to deliberately create extremists in a world with loose nukes and the increasing ease of genetically engineering a disease that could kill everyone.  The more radicals there are, the harder it is to keep track of them.
I read that these guys joined Al Qaeda after seeing what happened at Abu Ghraib.  It would make the job of stopping terrorism a lot easier if we did less stuff to help create new radicals.  Being more extreme ourselves only makes them more extreme.  It's like fighting fire with gasoline.
Current Market Cap is lower than two years ago. Apparently no progress since then! Enormously higher profits are just a future drop in profits waiting to happen. The stock market has lost touch with reality. Cook tried to tie the stock to how well they're doing, with a big dividend and big stock buybacks, to no avail. At least so far.
theverge.com says the planned price for iDevices Switch is $50 each.  An X10 appliance module (switch) costs about $15, and an X10 controlled outlet is only about $20.  Of course X10 is flaky, and early adopters usually pay a premium.
Looking at cheap SSD's and hard disks on Amazon, the cheapest 1TB SSD's are around $0.36 per GB, while the cheapest 5TB hard disk is around $0.0315 per GB, which is a factor of 12...