or Connect

Posts by NormM

If they have physical possession of your device, they should be able to crack it with enough effort.  For instance, they could break open the A8 chip and, with the right equipment, directly look inside the secure enclave to see the encryption key that's physically stored there.  This would require a lot of work and sophistication, but shouldn't be impossible.
Icahn's letter seems like helpful PR to me.  Just trying to herd the speculators a bit.
His interests are rather short term, and he's also a big shareholder in other companies, such as PayPal, that he might try to push Apple to buy.  Hopefully, though, he's just interested in some PR to emphasize how undervalued AAPL still is.
He sold a tiny amount of his stock the day before the iPhone event (something like $100,000 worth)​, the first day he was allowed to sell that batch of stock.  He obviously knew months earlier that the iPhones weren't going to use sapphire screens.  Or do you think he just found that out at the Apple event, ten days before they started selling the new iPhones?
The 6+ is apparently at least as good in these bend tests as the Note 4; so this video at least doesn't point up an Apple flaw.  And how exactly is it that a much longer and much thinner iPhone 6 isn't going to be more susceptible to bending than the 5?
As I recall, Scott Forstall is the one who got fired over the maps mess.  This guy may well have been telling Forstall the maps weren't ready for release.  Apple doesn't keep incompetent people around: this report is way out of line.
It's true that UI elements are constructed at higher resolution, to make touch targets scale simply in UI designs, but it's unlikely they're scaling video twice!  Video is decoded in hardware, for power efficiency.  Scaling and rescaling  would waste power and result in poorer quality.   There's no reason for them to do it that way.
The iPhone 6 plus is thinner than the phones that didn't bend.  According to Apple, they've had 9 people complain so far about this issue, out of the first ten million phones it sold.  I plan to keep my 6 plus in my front pocket and don't plan to use a case.
There were also people who claimed their iPhone 5's bent in their pockets.  Very few did.  Engineering is a matter of tradeoffs.  Nothing is unbendable or unbreakable.  Apple made the 6 plus light and thin, and they'll probably make at least 100 million of them.  They wouldn't do that if their testing didn't indicate bending wasn't going to be an issue.  They feel very solid in the store, and I'm looking forward to the two I've ordered for me and my wife arriving.
News reports about the break ins at Home Depot and Target never seem to mention that their point of sale systems were running Windows XP and were compromised by well known exploits for XP.  I also see talking heads lumping together these credit card breaches with social engineering breaches that accessed nude photos at Apple.  It seems to me that no matter what Apple does with NFC and credit cards, they will continue to get lumped in by ignorant media commentators with...