or Connect

Posts by NormM

Completely agree!  This is basic infrastructure, and we need to get this right or put the US at a significant disadvantage.  Part of the problem seems to be that ISP's such as Comcast have a conflict of interest, since they own both the pipes and some of the content.  Other countries deal with this by not allowing one company to do both, which seems much less convoluted than trying to regulate the conflict. It also seems strange to prevent ISP's from providing fast...
Apple employs around 20,000 software engineers, and they're all working on stuff. Just because one of them has written a Web crawler doesn't mean much. Maybe he's just collecting some sample html pages for testing Safari.
Apple uses the new industry-standard tokenization, which is why it works at standard NFC terminals.  The "secure element" is in the standards-compliant NFC chip that Apple gets from NXP.
 Apple's Passbook App supports loyalty cards, so presumably you can allow your transactions (without your credit card info) to be tracked in general, in return for discounts.  Apple Pay also supports debit cards, so I don't see any need for another scheme that charges your bank account directly.
 This is a beautiful sentiment, but he needs to be careful about his safety.  Both of these men who followed the sunlit path were assassinated.  I hope Tim's well protected when he travels in countries that have medieval views on this!
You do realize that Apple's latest results included just nine days of sales of the new iPhones, and Samsung's results are all from before the new iPhones, so your conclusion isn't very logical!
 I tried NFC payment at CVS yesterday using my iPhone.  It was not shut off, it seemed to work and then said I needed to use a different form of payment.  Has anyone verified that Google Wallet and chip cards don't work?
Considering that Apple has bought back and retired something like 10% of their stock in the past year, the remaining shares should be worth 10% more. So I don't think Apple will actually exceed its basis-adjusted past high until it reaches about $111 a share.
As the biggest tech company, Apple should be supporting basic research.  When they were small, it made sense for them to do only very focused  applied research, and depend on the rest of society for basic research that benefits everyone.  Now they are so big that they should be a major force pushing many avenues of science forward that don't just benefit them.  For example, they should support basic research on chemical sensors at universities so that someday the Apple...
 Step 15 of the teardown shows it does have an NFC module.  I'm guessing for use by small retailers for POS.