or Connect

Posts by NormM

Apple has said that they plan to stick with this connector for a long time.  That means that it's probably going to have to support several different electrical interfaces over its lifetime.  At the least, I would expect USB3 and Thunderbolt in the near term.  To do that with a small number of pins means it's going to have to figure out which interface you're using and assign the pins accordingly.  The existing cable needs to configure the electrical interface for...
  The iPod touch 4G 16GB currently sells for $199.  It has a retina display and camera.  The iPad 2 16GB currently sells for $399.  Apple could clearly fit something in between.  Their historical practice in iPhone and iPad is to make small margins on the base model, and make most of their money from people willing to pay through the nose for extra flash memory.  And they don't need to make much money on the iPad mini -- it's worth a lot to them to avoid letting...
We know from public filings that Apple's gross margins on iPhone for the last couple of years have been about 50%, and on iPad about 25%.  Since much of that comes from the more expensive models, which don't cost much more to make, that suggests that if you buy the 16GB iPhone or iPad, you get a good deal.  The idea that they are somehow extorting grotesque 300% profits from each phone is nonsense.
I've read that iPod out specifically means the remote control of iTunes that some cars do.
The ones on eBay look better and cheaper.  There are several sellers with excellent ratings offering these for under $12 with free shipping.  A typical description:     Lightning to 30-pin Adapter for iPhone 5, Ipod 5, iPod nano 7th generation  This genric adapter connects these new devices to older iOS devices, including car charger, audio and clock docks, etc.- Apple's created an adapter to accommodate 30-pin connectors. The cost of connecting? Order one from...
I got through quickly with no error messages, ordering two of the AT&T version (was required to checkout one at a time) from Apple's online store.   But I encountered a bug in the algorithm for adding accessories.  After adding an iPhone5 to the shopping cart, I was offered AppleCare+ along with some appropriate accessories.  Whatever I added next from these, though, I was then offered a bunch of irrelevant iPhone4 accessories.  Moreover, if I didn't add AppleCare+ first...
I kept getting that until I clicked on the "Store" button again.
There are only glass inlays on the back, because a solid metal case wouldn't let the antennas "see out".
From http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/   "Although the surface of the iSight camera is as clear as glass, it’s not made of glass. It’s actually sapphire crystal, whose hardness is second only to diamond on the scale of transparent materials. That means the surface of the lens is far less likely to scratch."
The problem with just naming the new iPhone "new iPhone", which is what they do with most of their products, is that they continue to sell several generations of old devices at lower prices, so they need model names. This isn't a problem with the MacBook Air, for example, because they stopped selling the MacBook Air 4,1 when the 5,1 came out.