or Connect

Posts by NormM

This story is idiotic! Look at the document included in the story: this is about an office action!! The patent has not been invalidated!!!!! This is a re-examination, and this patent has been previously re-examined and upheld. Examinations almost always begin by the examiner rejecting all claims. I hope some investors that get fooled by this story sue the pants off AppleInsider!
Apple can get a patent on their improvements, but that in no way invalidates the original patent. Having a patent doesn't protect you from earlier patents on pieces of what you do.
Link to app works fine for me. When you do a search, thumb up on the result banner at the bottom for more info, including street view.
Almost every examination of a valid patent starts like this. The examiner comes up with some prior art that resembles the independent claim and rejects all the claims. Then the respondent argues a bit, and maybe narrows the independent claim a little, and after some back-and-forth like this all the claims are granted.
As of this writing, the note above has been added but the article is still incorrect.
What people have found is that the Lightning cable contains a chip that uses a one-pin serial connection for a fixed indentification number. This kind of chip has been used to identify battery packs, for example. Since the Lightning connector is supposed to be future proof, you'd expect the interface to include identifying information to tell it what electrical and logical protocol to use. It seems like a leap to call this an authentication chip.
This series of TI chips is generally used for product identification: returning an identification number on a 1-pin serial interface. Since the Lightning connector is planned to be future proof, I would expect it to require cables to identify what hardware and software interface to use.
I think the commercial is arresting. But I don't think MS has a cool image, and I think they're too late to the dance.
  Take a look at what dpreview says about this problem.  Chromatic aberration occurs when the lens can't focus all colors sharply at the same time.  Lens flare occurs when stray light gets in and bounces around between the elements of the lens.
The article contradicts itself. The Apple source cited, and others I've seen, say the problem is lens flare, which is an issue caused by reflections in the lens system. But after quoting Apple on this, the AI article says it's chromatic aberration, as if it were agreeing with Apple. Chromatic abberation is a completely different thing, that involves refraction, not reflection.