or Connect

Posts by NormM

I never got the impression that Jobs always made brilliant decisions. For example, I think his choice of biographer was a dud. But he had excellent technical taste, worried a lot about how to make his employees successful, made sensible decisions (even when they were unpopular) and changed his mind quickly when he was wrong. This combination of characteristics is very rare in CEO's, which I think accounts for Apple's success. But these attributes are eminently...
He must have said, "of Mac, or of iPod." iPad cannibalizes Mac and iPod, but not iPad.
The Surface Pro tries to be a competitor against both MacBook Air and iPad, and it fails against each in a different set of ways. Arguing that it's storage use is comparable to the Air doesn't make it a good laptop.
I vote for White Lion. Rare but beautiful!
There are over 500 million iOS devices out there. If you make an app that is attractive to 1% of them at $1, your revenue is $5 million. That's not tragic. That's the power of a mass market with almost no cost to make copies of the product. You're being paid by the market, not by the individual.
The point here was not that they sell more. They make a lot more money at the lower price. That's not at all obvious.
HBO is a major part of expensive cable packages. Cable operators undoubtedly pay them a lot not to offer HBO Go separately online.
Apple makes high margins by selling built-in flash memory. It has modest margins on it's lowest capacity devices, which makes it hard for competitors to get into the market by underselling them with a desirable low-end device. Then it has high margin devices with lots of flash memory, so the higher end customers have something to buy. If low end competition ever becomes a real problem, they'll just cut the price of their entry-level devices.You can't compete with that...
Agree completely. If Apple wants to police apps that need a safe-search mode, they should always require the "restrictions" (i.e., parental controls) password to be typed to turn off safe search on iOS (if such a password has been set). Note that it's not really true that you can't put restrictions on Safari, but it's clearly a losing battle.
Didn't I just read that Apple sold more smartphones in the latest quarter than all Android device makers combined?