or Connect

Posts by NormM

According to statistics from Net Applications, iOS gets almost three times the Web usage as Android, and according to Distimo iOS developers are making more than four times as much revenue. So I'm not sure who is saying that nobody uses iOS.
  I agree that Lynch seems like a bit of a jerk, but he is certainly not Mansfield's replacement: Mansfield is a hardware guy and Lynch is purely a software guy.  It's also worth keeping in mind that the hiring process at Apple involves the new prospect talking to people from all over the company.  Tim Cook would have had input on this from many people.
Nothing on Google News about this. I don't understand how increasing the dividend is supposed to affect investor behavior. AAPL stock typically changes by $5 per day. How would a quarterly dividend of $5 change investor behavior? I think this is all just Wall Street pundits foaming at the mouth.
Wall Street will not reward Apple if they give more money back to investors. The stock typically changes more in value each day than any plausible quarterly dividend. So how would investors even notice this? This would just be a waste of money.
If Samsung forks Android, I wonder if Google continues to put their apps on Samsung phones? After all, Google already makes their apps for their competitor iOS. If they don't, the Google apps won't be on very many new Android phones! Even without Google, the main thing Samsung would need is a good-enough map app.
I think it's great if Apple feels some competition -- it should stimulate them to achieve more. It would be nice, though, if the American press would cheerlead sometimes for Apple instead of their Korean rival.
You do understand that Apple made a profit of over $1 billion per week this past quarter? Since the earth only had about 200 million people on it in the year 1 AD, that's about $2000 per person per year, if the population were still the same. For comparison, the GDP per capita in ancient Rome, in equivalent year-2000 international dollars (based on $US purchasing power parities and the average value of commodities), was less than $1000.In general, world markets are so...
Samsung is about three times as profitable as Google, and growing rapidly as smartphones grow. In another year or two it might make sense for Samsung to simply buy Google.
  According to the numbers you cite, 30% are on Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) and only 10% on Jelly Bean (4.1).  And only 1% are on the latest version of Jelly Bean, from four months ago.  Whatever else one can say, this looms as a giant security issue.
According to Google's own numbers, more than 50% of Android users are still on version 2.3.x (Gingerbread) or lower. Those are all more than two years old. Gingerbread is still the most popular release by far.The most recent point release was Jellybean 4.2, which came out almost 5 months ago. It's currently on about 1% of Android devices.