or Connect

Posts by NormM

I got the late 2010 Air soon after it came out, and I don't have Power Nap under Mountain Lion. The SMC update for the 2011 Air isn't compatible, and I don't see any other update available. I suspect something changed after my Air debuted, so perhaps most 2010 Air's support Power Nap, but not mine :(   [[Update: there was a Mountain Lion developer's beta for the late model 2010 Air SMC that enabled Power Nap.  Those that have it on those machines may have been developers....
The article says Power Nap works with mid 2011 and later. As I said, my Air is late 2010, but has the same design as mid-2011 (with only tiny differences). The earlier Airs had a very different design. Does Power Nap work with the 2nd major design (my Air) or with mid-2011 and later (as the article states)? Please answer my actual question.
I have the MacBook Air 3,1 (late 2010) and there are no visible differences in the design between it and the 4,1 (mid 2011). The display port connector turned into a thunderbolt connector, and the keyboard went back to being backlit. The screen and the case were completey unchanged. So how is this a different design?
The slide says MacBook Air (2nd generation) gets Power Nap. The article says mid 2011 Air does. The MacBook Air 1,1 came out in early 2008; 2,1 in late 2008; 3,1 in late 2010; 4,1 in mid 2011 and 5,1 in mid 2012 (accoring to Wikipedia). Does that mean that the MacBook Air 4,1 is the second generation Air? Or has the plan changed?
I only use street view occasionally on iOS, so it's fine for me to have it available in a separate Google app, for now. I actually think, though, that to avoid degrading their product Apple should continue to license street view from Google, keeping it as a low profile feature of iOS maps for the moment while they build their own independent version.
As long as a free Google app with streetview is available, I don't see this as much of a PR issue.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to try to increase opportunity and social mobility, so we don't have to incarcerate or kill so many thugs. Same thing with terrorism. The first defence should be to stop creating so many enemies.
Apple should make it more apparent that when you send a text between iOS devices, you automatically use iMessage. Just telling people to use iMessage when they aren't aware it's an automatic action isn't helpful! Messages that are blue in the Messages app use iMessage and are secure. Messages that are green are using SMS and cost you extra and are insecure.
As long as Apple keeps doubling their profits every year, as they have been, it will be hard for the stock price to not go up. AAPL is up 7x since the start of 2009 and the PE is about the same.
Apple could indicate when the sender is authenticated (e.g., show a little lock icon or something when it's able to use iMessage to send the message). But it already uses a different color, so maybe that's just an education issue. Still, it might be a worthwhile marketing issue to make the security of iMessage more obvious.