or Connect

Posts by NormM

Remember that the human eye has only about the same aperture as a cell phone camera, and people are pretty happy with it. I think it's extremely likely that high end digital cameras will get enormously better over the next few years, without increasing lens size, and cell phone cameras will eventually be about as good as today's DSLRs. This will come about by using sensors that are limited only by quantum photon counting statistics, by binning together counts for...
I shouldn't have said "outselling"---I meant market share. According to Net Applications iOS currently has almost four times the market share that Android does. I don't actually know which is currently growing faster.
No, Android is outselling iOS on phones. Overall iOS is still winning by a large factor, if you count all iOS devices (iPod touches, iPads and iPhones). This matters because the app market includes all of these devices.
Trademarks are used to make it clear who a product comes from, so companies can't sucker people into thinking their product comes from someone else when it doesn't, and ride on someone else's reputation. To make sure there's no chance of confusion, only one company in a given product area can use a particular trademark. It's just words, and doesn't require payments or prevent products from being sold under some other name. Since no one used the term "App Store" before...
New development for CIFS has been under GPLv3 for three or four years already. I can't believe Apple hasn't been working on this at least that long. In addition, there are several commercially available CIFS stacks. Apple is a $300B company, with $60B in cash in the bank: if there were a problem, Apple would just buy a CIFS implementation.
I think you're right that most will gift their old iPad rather than sell it. But between the two there will probably be a lot of repeat customers.
On my Air SSD I made an 8GB partition using Disk Utility (6GB would have been enough) and copied the flash software recovery drive onto it using Carbon Copy Cloner. The only complication is that the dmg file on the flash drive (which is all that you need to duplicate) is a hidden file and so I opened it in a terminal window using "ls -a" to see it and then "open mumble.dmg" (I forget what it was called) and then copied it with CCC (you can find the recovery drive in the...
The PR about lightpeak was all about an optical serial technology that scales to 100Gbps. It's not obvious how this maps onto an extension of PCI express. Will there be an optical version that also includes electrical connections for bus power, etc?And since they use the displayport connector, it seems like there is some scope for confusion if a non-display device is connected to an old displayport.
So general purchase apps, such as the Amazon Store, are forced to sell some items through in-app purchase, while the rest are sold using their own billing mechanisms? And companies aren't allowed to give out coupons or loyalty rewards on their web sites, because there is no mechanism for doing the same thing in the app store (and this would make the prices unequal)? Etc. This all seems too complicated and not the thing that makes for the best user experience. Apple...
I think that this means they can give users access to their existing Kindle subscriptions for free, but need to offer the same subscriptions in-app. I think this also means that books purchased on the Web or on other devices are available for free, but Apple takes 30% of books purchased on iOS. It seems to me that the idea is okay but 30% is way too much. At the least this should go down with volume to something approaching a credit card fee, since high volume apps are...