or Connect

Posts by NormM

There have been some amazing new products in the past two years.  As for vaporware, the only things I can remember Apple ever pre-announcing were the original iPhone and the new Mac Pro.  Seem pretty real to me.
 Exactly right!  The transition to "smartphones" is something that carriers are doing and is happening very quickly.  Consumer choice is happening much more slowly.  Growth in the mobile-phone market is much more meaningful, because you don't have these two different effects mixed together: growth in the overall mobile phone market is slow, so you can see Apple's share there growing steadily.   Wolf is also making the usual mistake in saying there's nothing that will allow...
I looked at both old and new, and liked the old one better.  It said a bit less, but I think the jurors are more likely to understand it.
At the moment the link from the home page of AppleInsider to this article is broken (error 404).
 The 5c is just last year's top model sold as the mid-tier option, just what they've done every year, but reskinned this time.  When the 6 is introduced, the 5c will become the low end option, replacing the 4s at a similar price.  It takes two years: top to mid to low.
 In the US Apple store the 8GB 4S is $0 with contract.  In Japan, all carriers offer a 16GB 5S for free with a two year contract.
 That just emphasizes the fact that smartphone sales are the wrong metric.  Apple is gaining mobile phone sales with a steady exponential growth: penetration/nonpenetration is growing exponentially with a constant exponent.  Its steady growth is increasingly at the expense of everyone else, since the smartphone pie isn't growing much anymore in the US.  But the total pie of mobile phone subscribers has been almost constant all along.  What logistic growth means is that...
 This is still closely tracking the logistic behavior Horace Dediu noted a few months ago.  At the current rate, iPhone will have 50% of the entire US mobile phone market (not just smartphones!) in October 2015.  As of January it has about 28% of mobile phone subscribers in the US (according to the comScore report).
At the time I'm writing this, your link above points to a March *2013* report by comScore.
You write, "One alternative that comes to mind is Other World Computing's recently-released 10-, 20- and 30-meter cables, though we have yet to test a sample and cannot comment on the lineup's performance." OWC seems to have similar prices for their optical thunderbolt cables. Wouldn't this have been a good place to test both and compare? Though since they probably use the same chips they're unlikely to be much different.