or Connect

Posts by NormM

China owns 7% of the US debt.  Also, US treasury bond interest rates are currently so low that it wouldn't make much difference if they dumped that: the inflation-adjusted interest rates on 5 year treasuries has been negative since 2011. And most economists think that if China acted in a way that lowered the value of the dollar a bit, that would actually be a net benefit for the US economy, because of increased exports.
 I was really talking about the problem of continuing to put more logic in a given volume, not whether current CMOS technology will continue down to 5nm (I'm less pessimistic than most about that, though). Moore's law is about size and amount, not any particular technology. The size of a bit in a mercury delay line or a vacuum tube memory falls on the same straight line on a semilog graph vs time as modern chips -- the technology keeps changing but the amount of logic we...
I agree with you and with @joseph_went_south!  When the iPhone first appeared, it was like magic from the future.  That's what people want to buy from Apple.  Adding some new magic to next generation devices is exactly what's needed to get us all in line again, waiting to jump forward in time again!
Rather than adding rules to try to force developers to make their apps more accessible, why not establish a foundation to provide funding targeted at helping developers do this?  Such a foundation might also help accessible apps stay alive and accessible, and finance new ones.
 The US government doesn't need China to finance the debt.  The current demand for US Treasury bonds is so high that they pay a negative real interest rate: adjusted for inflation, people pay the US government to hold five year treasury bonds.  This has been true since 2011.  And China only owns about 7% of our debt.  About 1/3 of the debt is owned by the US government itself (e.g., social security).  And it would probably be good for the US economy if China dumped their...
I'm surprised you didn't mention Stevie Wonder's comments about iOS accessibility in 2011, which is when I first became aware of how good the accessibility features are for the blind:  The author of this piece is someone you know well! 
 It's worth mentioning that the reason the game has continued this long is that 2D lithography builds up 3D structures.  Capacitors that remember the bits (voltage levels) on DRAM chips have been made that are 100 times deeper than wide, so even at thin line widths they still contain lots of atoms (and electrons).  Entire memory structures have also been stacked, so counting merely by the 2D area per bit is misleading.  The only fundamental barrier keeping us from building...
The numbers look a bit suspicious, since Apple has reported sales of over 20 million units, and the US is generally at least 1/3 of its market, so that should be about 7 million units in the US, vs 8 million for Roku.  So how does Roku have such a large lead?
Apple's smartphone share in the US has held steady at around 41% for most of the past year, as smartphones have gone from 60% to 70% of all cellphones.  That's probably about where Apple will still be in a few more years, when all US cellphones are smartphones (it's the best-fit saturation for a logistic curve using all the comscore iPhone penetration data for the past four years).  That's pretty good for a "top-end" brand!  Affordable luxury.
Testing for sapphire by bending the thing under his shoe seems pretty lame! In fact, gorilla glass is supposed to be more flexible than sapphire, so this test shows nothing. He should give the thing to someone with equipment to actually determine what it's made of. Just checking the index of refraction would be a big clue, since sapphire is around 1.8 and gorilla glass is around 1.5. I'm skeptical that this is actually sapphire. I think Apple is going to need all its...