or Connect

Posts by NormM

Actually, the AuthenTec technology Apple bought is very cool. It uses a combination of capacitive and RF tech to look at the live layers of the skin, and includes dynamic properties such as blood flow as part of the match. It doesn't use optics at all, and completely ignores the appearance of the surface layer of dead skin cells. Images of a print, residue from a previous print, or even a dead finger, won't fool it.
The annual market for new cars containing a $1500 radio is not 65M.  Basic sound integration, letting you play your iDevice sound through the car speakers, seems like it will be a baseline feature, not something they can charge much for.  And hands free calling doesn't require much intelligence in the car either; adding a mic to the car is enough to allow Siri integration for most iPhone capabilities.  So I think the $1500 iRadio is a really tiny part of this market.  In...
The key issue here is synchronization.  I like iPhone integration in the car because all of my contacts are available as driving destinations, all of my music, music apps and podcasts are immediately playable on the car speakers, just where I left off.  Siri knows how to access my voicemail and texts and email accounts.  Phone calls are hands free, with controls on the dash and on the steering wheel.   All of this works well with my iPhone in charge.  It would be...
Only about 40 million new cars are sold in the world every year. The cellphone market is billions. Moreover, free maps/directions and music on my smartphone have already destroyed the value of my car audio system. I just want it to run AirTunes. So this is a small market for Apple, and not a valuable one.
Amazon was born in the Internet boom period. It still has a boom business model: Give something away for free, and make money for investors by having the stock price go up.
This looks like pictures of some cases for iPhones, and info about some new Samsung models, perhaps. Weak tea.
No invite, but I logged into iCloud and the iWork apps were there.  Pages can import Word documents, and share as Word documents. Same with Numbers and Excel documents, and Keynote and Powerpoint documents! So basically everyone with an Apple ID has a free version of an excellent Word/Excel/Powerpoint compatible office suite in the cloud!  This is NOT GOOD for Microsoft!
Google is down 5% today after posting its financials, with rapidly declining ad values.  And Google still makes more from iOS than from Android.  Apple makes 72% of the profits in the cell phone industry, and 45% of the profits in the Intel-PC market -- around 70% of the profit in the whole PC hardware industry if you count iPad!  So how exactly is Google, with 1/3 of its profitability, killing Apple in the value department?   (BTW, you do realized that "billions of daily...
According to today's post at Asymco.com this is BS. Dediu says that smartphone penetration is about 60% in the US (lower elsewhere) and the rate of switching to smartphones in the US is accelerating. It's currently about 583,000 per week, up from a 41 week average of 572,000.
Munster suggests that Apple buy IBM's chip process technology (and people), which is about the best in the world and which is rumored to be up for sale.  This is not starting from scratch. This seems like a much better use for a few billion dollars of Apple's enormous profits than just giving it back to the shareholders.  Then of course they should also hire some of the world's best fab experts and build a fab.