or Connect

Posts by NormM

Three days ago, AppleInsider had iPhone at 40% of the US smartphone market, with Android declining. It might be nice if you tried to relate one thing you say to the next.
Jobs had a pretty dramatic life.  His companies transformed computing, music, and film.  He was up and down, and turned a near-bankrupt company into the most valuable company in the world.  He knew and loved and worked with some of the smartest and most creative people in the world.  By the end of his story he had a hundred billion dollars and many of the  best hardware and software engineers in the world at his disposal to try to do anything that he could imagine, and he...
App Annie is an analytics company that makes money by selling statistics about the app market. Looking at their website, it seems they get their statistics mainly through having app publishers give them access to their app accounts at Apple, Google, and Amazon. In return for permission to gather anonymized statistics, the publishers get some useful data summaries about their apps (hourly ranking data, country rankings, etc.). They claim to have access to over 10% of...
He didn't attack the journalist, he just argued against the information presented, which was wrong and had been very widely disseminated!
Actually, the AuthenTec technology Apple bought is very cool. It uses a combination of capacitive and RF tech to look at the live layers of the skin, and includes dynamic properties such as blood flow as part of the match. It doesn't use optics at all, and completely ignores the appearance of the surface layer of dead skin cells. Images of a print, residue from a previous print, or even a dead finger, won't fool it.
The annual market for new cars containing a $1500 radio is not 65M.  Basic sound integration, letting you play your iDevice sound through the car speakers, seems like it will be a baseline feature, not something they can charge much for.  And hands free calling doesn't require much intelligence in the car either; adding a mic to the car is enough to allow Siri integration for most iPhone capabilities.  So I think the $1500 iRadio is a really tiny part of this market.  In...
The key issue here is synchronization.  I like iPhone integration in the car because all of my contacts are available as driving destinations, all of my music, music apps and podcasts are immediately playable on the car speakers, just where I left off.  Siri knows how to access my voicemail and texts and email accounts.  Phone calls are hands free, with controls on the dash and on the steering wheel.   All of this works well with my iPhone in charge.  It would be...
Only about 40 million new cars are sold in the world every year. The cellphone market is billions. Moreover, free maps/directions and music on my smartphone have already destroyed the value of my car audio system. I just want it to run AirTunes. So this is a small market for Apple, and not a valuable one.
Amazon was born in the Internet boom period. It still has a boom business model: Give something away for free, and make money for investors by having the stock price go up.
This looks like pictures of some cases for iPhones, and info about some new Samsung models, perhaps. Weak tea.