or Connect

Posts by randian

More to the point, why should Intuit care if anybody buys its Mac product when users will buy its Windows product instead and run it under a VM? The solution to getting them to build a good Mac product is buyers not only not buying the Mac product, but not buying the Windows product as a substitute.
Not so much buggy as severely lacking in features. No R1C1 addressing, no named ranges, missing builtin functions.
The new FileVault will only be compelling if Apple hardware accelerates it using Sandy Bridge's new AES-NI instructions.
Which is a monumentally stupid usability decision on the part of Intel. Having to disconnect your monitor or hub in order to take something out of the chain is a HUGE impediment to TB's adoption prospects. Users hate that sort of thing.
Having to (in effect) disconnect your monitor to remove attached storage is insufferably stupid. This design decision will severely impact acceptance of Thunderbolt. Having the monitor as the first device, making it in effect a hub (I know it's not a real hub) would have made far more sense.
Lots of programs retain the Unix convention of using /tmp for scratch files rather than OSX's convention of using ~/Library/Caches/, which as you note in 10.6 and earlier FileVault causes leaking of unencrypted data. One thing I haven't heard about is whether 10.7 FileVault is hardware accelerated; that is, does it use Nehalem's new AES-NI instructions? I am also disappointed that 10.7 FileVault only uses 128-bit keys, seeing as 10.6 encrypted sparseimages can use...
I'm not talking about wear leveling, I'm talking about dirty cells. A flash cell starts out empty. Writing data to it is very, very fast. Writing new data, however, becomes slow because to do so you must first restore the cell to "empty" before writing new data to it. That is very slow. Disk controllers try to first direct your writes to pristine empty cells rather than do that. However, once all your cells have been made "dirty" you can't do that, even if they are nowhere...
I'd consider an Apple tv, if it didn't have overscan or overscan could be turned off by the user. A lot of flat-panel TVs these days have overscan that you can't turn off. It's really annoying.
If by "set a sleep time" you mean set it to sleep after X minutes of inactivity, that works just fine.
It is.