or Connect

Posts by Capnbob

Iphone 5 never had a lower price point than any other top-tier iphone... in fact when it was released, the iPhone ASP went up for Q1FY2013! Only in later FY2013 quarters did it go down and that seems to be due to a growing international mix (mostly without subsidy) and specifically in China where Apple did not have a competitive LTE product until the 5S/5C. As to the bet... you're on... no-one will notice if I'm not around and if I win, it's only upside for the community ;-)
1. Easily2. Obviously3. None - totally circumstantial and poorly correlated evidence - likely merely coincidental with a significant evolution in the Apple product mix (many more ipads sold with much lower margins including the Mini), slowing iphone growth, etc. The 5 was significantly more expensive to make than the 4S (legacy 4 shell) so margins reduced, etc. etc. etc. Not so hard. ;-)
I respectfully think you are wrong in several of your basic premises which impacts your conclusions:1) that people will opt for the lesser phone and pocket $100. That has been proven demonstrably false in the past and will not change in the future.2) That the US tier pricing model is still important. It isn't now that the US carriers have almost killed traditional subsidized contract pricing and the difference in monthly cost on an installment plan is negligible over 1-2...
I'm good with the Sport, Watch and band costs for those but I just checked out the bands on the Edition... the leather classic buckle bands cost $3000 over the sport band!!! The Grey modern buckle cost $7000 over the sport band!!!   HOW MUCH GOLD IS IN THESE BUCKLES???   If this proves anything, it is Apple pricing the Edition at what the luxury market will bear rather than anything related to cost. I am sure they know their benchmarks and comparators. At those levels,...
I think you need to brush up your comprehension... the $2000 is the increment for the 42mm over the 38mm ($10K vs $12K)... it's pretty clear.
Good point, though it only applies to Sprint/Verizon (and a couple of CDMA MVNOs) interoperability which is probably unaffected by this policy and probably not that interesting to most unlockers. Unlocking doesn't force a carrier to accept a phone on their network, though the GSM carriers generally can't/don't care about this (I've put former AT&T and Verizon phones on TMob without issue). I believe Sprint and Verizon will still not activate each others' phones because...
The upside for owners is that Verizon iPhones routinely make more on ebay than any other carrier's phone since most savvy buyers know this. Phone has to be 4G to fall within the terms so it doesn't apply to the iPhone 4S or earlier. There are a few other minor/regional carriers who also have the policy to unlock their phones from the start, though many smaller carriers lock their phones and are not bound by this unlocking policy. The things you learn on Ebay... US Cellular...
Verizon only do this because it was part of the terms of them getting the 700Mhz spectrum from the FCC. They would never have done this voluntarily.
This is of primary interest for Sprint and US Cellular since all Verizon 4G devices are inherently unlocked due to its agreement with the FCC over 700Mhz spectrum. AT&T has let you unlock 5 out of contract devices per year for a several years. They will unlock phones you bought on ebay etc within that 5 limit as long as you have an account with them. They also have the policy of unlocking 10 phones if you had an account within the last 18 months I believe even if you ended...
I don't think its actually saturated but definitely getting more that way. The market is not the number of quarterly sales, its really the number of units in use and users. Tablets have a very different upgrade cycle and different jobs to be done (even if some use cases overlap with phone and laptop). With phones, there is a pretty aggressive 2 year upgrade cycle. Almost all 3S and below are sitting in drawer, most 4 have succumbed to their age and hard living and the 4S'...