or Connect

Posts by Capnbob

How dare you use facts to dispute the wild-ass rantings of an internet muppet... For shame sir, for shame!!   (Nice little find BTW).
I agree on Huberty's record, though it appears to be improving as she realizes betting against Apple is a fool's game.   However, I believe that the glib statement is essentially true. The overall tablet market is about 60% iPads, 20% color e-Readers (Kindle Fire/Nook Tablet, etc.), 10% Craplets, 10% iPad equivalent Android (G-Tabs, XyBoards, Transformers). That market is undoubtedly an iPad market if you deduct the e-Readers (which anyone should). I would also deduct...
+1 Massively. I too exchanged a MacBook (2008) for a Mac Mini (2010) and an iPad2/iPhone4S. I expect to change iPads every 2 years and iPhones every year - got burned using a 3GS instead of a 4 for 15 months. I have 2 mini's (1 is an HTPC) and don't see changing them until the old one (2006 1.83 CD) dies.   To be fair, I have a work Thinkpad T420 i5 to do my work on which sometime covers personal tasks but if I didn't need it for work, I wouldn't miss it.
It is interesting that MS is (again) in a cannibalization/divisional battle situation. Office is now a bigger revenue and profit maker than Windows per last couple of quarters. For the Office unit, it wants to maximize revenue/profit so put it on the obvious tablet market leader. Also, the free Office on WinRT must really chap their asses - they get bugger all revenue off the new platform and it will be hard for them to ever do so. Even if it was a $15-25 license fee it...
  I believe the number but you are not comparing Apples to Apples (sic)... Apple has never released the carrier pre-order number. The 1M consumer preorders and 4M sales in the first weekend are completely different numbers to this one. If Apple did release an equivalent number then it would probably be 25M (about 2 months production) as the 9M is for the GS3 (ramping up to 5M per month production). Carriers knew the 4S would fly off the shelves and ordered accordingly......
The equivalent Apple number is probably also about 2 months of production or about 25M. More Samsung unattributable fiction regarding numbers no one else reports.
If a company scapegoats its agency then it's basically admitting that it has an incompetent marketing department since nothing would make it to air without the express approval of the JCP folks. A retailer that doesn't understand it's customers deserves to fail.That said, investors will probably believe it and as others have said, this is a marathon not s sprint. Way too early to tell how it will all play out. I quite liked the weird abstract ads for each season/month but...
  Apple has the ability to build a proper Apple 7.85" tablet for $200 cost, sell it for $279 (~25-30% margins). Not only that but they would sell 16GB at $329 and 32GB at $399 or $429 (super margins)  and across that range would sell millions. Average margin would be set by the mid-range model since that seems to be the best seller for most Apple lines. Note that although Apple's average OM is 41% that is massively because the iPhone is insanely profitable. iPads are...
Of course there is - usability is not down to UI alone - weight, portability, screen real-estate, built in features ALL impact usability. Your narrow definition around UI does your argument a disservice.
I realize that is probably meant slightly tongue in cheek but it is a prima face case of your personal opinion being worth basically nothing in terms of predicting market needs, desires, price points or elasticity.   I too manage to hold my iPad for hours (usually employing some kind of fingers stuffed into the rolled up smartcover) but doesn't mean millions wouldn't appreciate something lighter. My mum can read her iPhone and would have no problem reading a 7.85" iPad...