or Connect

Posts by Capnbob

The equivalent Apple number is probably also about 2 months of production or about 25M. More Samsung unattributable fiction regarding numbers no one else reports.
If a company scapegoats its agency then it's basically admitting that it has an incompetent marketing department since nothing would make it to air without the express approval of the JCP folks. A retailer that doesn't understand it's customers deserves to fail.That said, investors will probably believe it and as others have said, this is a marathon not s sprint. Way too early to tell how it will all play out. I quite liked the weird abstract ads for each season/month but...
  Apple has the ability to build a proper Apple 7.85" tablet for $200 cost, sell it for $279 (~25-30% margins). Not only that but they would sell 16GB at $329 and 32GB at $399 or $429 (super margins)  and across that range would sell millions. Average margin would be set by the mid-range model since that seems to be the best seller for most Apple lines. Note that although Apple's average OM is 41% that is massively because the iPhone is insanely profitable. iPads are...
Of course there is - usability is not down to UI alone - weight, portability, screen real-estate, built in features ALL impact usability. Your narrow definition around UI does your argument a disservice.
I realize that is probably meant slightly tongue in cheek but it is a prima face case of your personal opinion being worth basically nothing in terms of predicting market needs, desires, price points or elasticity.   I too manage to hold my iPad for hours (usually employing some kind of fingers stuffed into the rolled up smartcover) but doesn't mean millions wouldn't appreciate something lighter. My mum can read her iPhone and would have no problem reading a 7.85" iPad...
Snark much?   I agree that the Touch/iphone doesn't really work since they are hired to be fundamentally different devices (even though there is massive functionality overlap). Nano and classic isn't perfect either but for most users, form factor is a deciding point since many people can fit their entire library on either device now (@16GB for the Nano).   However, why are the MacBook, iMac and MBA options invalid? They are all examples of smaller and cheaper devices...
To me the (near) perfect product line up for non-iPhone iOS devices would be: (right now and for a year or 3 more)   1. iPod touch - 3.5-4" Retina $149 (8GB) and up - 100g - for kids $199 32GB model to be best seller - $149/199/279 - 8/32/64GB 2. iPad Mini - 7.85-8" XGA $279 (8GB) and up - 300-400g $329 16GB model to be best seller - $279/$329/399 - 8/16/32GB + $120 for 4G on top model 3. iPad - 9.7-10.1" 2xXGA $399 (16GB last version) and up 550-650g $599 32GB...
A lot of UI buttons in my apps are about the same size as the iPhone buttons. I think you'd be surprised how well an 8" tablet would work out at 1024x768. 8" is 25% more screen than 7" (which does feel too small).
Decimate is probably too kind - it only means to kill 1 in 10. Apple appears to have killed 1 in 3 or 4 Fires.   To be honest, Amazon did most of the killing - the Fire just wasn't good enough... no camera, missing sensors, average battery life, average quality, weak app market, Amazon shilling everywhere to buy their content. Not so pleasant compared to the iPad. Word of Mouth counts.
  If there is one thing Apple doesn't do, it's listen to nerds (no offense, I too would be happy with any/all of those things). We've always said that Apple doesn't sell specs and overall is the better for it. However, as individual nerds, we always want more GBs, more Ghzs etc. It is a dichotomy that won't be closed in our favor. None of your suggestions are likely to ever happen because the vast majority of Apple users don't care for them. USB - you want it for host...