or Connect

Posts by Capnbob

To me the (near) perfect product line up for non-iPhone iOS devices would be: (right now and for a year or 3 more)   1. iPod touch - 3.5-4" Retina $149 (8GB) and up - 100g - for kids $199 32GB model to be best seller - $149/199/279 - 8/32/64GB 2. iPad Mini - 7.85-8" XGA $279 (8GB) and up - 300-400g $329 16GB model to be best seller - $279/$329/399 - 8/16/32GB + $120 for 4G on top model 3. iPad - 9.7-10.1" 2xXGA $399 (16GB last version) and up 550-650g $599 32GB...
A lot of UI buttons in my apps are about the same size as the iPhone buttons. I think you'd be surprised how well an 8" tablet would work out at 1024x768. 8" is 25% more screen than 7" (which does feel too small).
Decimate is probably too kind - it only means to kill 1 in 10. Apple appears to have killed 1 in 3 or 4 Fires.   To be honest, Amazon did most of the killing - the Fire just wasn't good enough... no camera, missing sensors, average battery life, average quality, weak app market, Amazon shilling everywhere to buy their content. Not so pleasant compared to the iPad. Word of Mouth counts.
  If there is one thing Apple doesn't do, it's listen to nerds (no offense, I too would be happy with any/all of those things). We've always said that Apple doesn't sell specs and overall is the better for it. However, as individual nerds, we always want more GBs, more Ghzs etc. It is a dichotomy that won't be closed in our favor. None of your suggestions are likely to ever happen because the vast majority of Apple users don't care for them. USB - you want it for host...
  I don't think the iPad 2 gets much cheaper over time. The iP4 hasn't (only dropped $100 in its unsub price and its BOM hasn't crashed just because there are 120M out there already). The problem with component pricing is that generally volume makes them cheaper, not age. Look at memory - the cheapest memory is almost always close to the newest, fastest, best chips since those are the ones with massive volumes. PC-1066 is cheaper than PC-8500 which is cheaper than...
The massive irony of that graphic from Amazon is that they are not even an authorized reseller of the iPad and all those entries are from other 3rd parties reselling iPads all above list price. Notice the prices - all at or above list - most of them are probably refurbs so people are working the arbitrage via Amazon (just like they do on ebay).   If the vastly more expensive, above list price, dodgy sourced iPads can get that high up the Amazon sales chart, no-one...
  I agree that it is a bit of a disgrace but that is $41Bn on $453Bn of revenue - less than 10% margin. Apple makes $26Bn on $108Bn.   Also Exxon has to drill for oil/gas in increasingly difficult and expensive locations which does cost Billions (and can lose billions if the test drilling doesn't pan out) plus it doesn't set the price of oil or gasoline, though it massively benefits and can influence to some degree it by messing with refining capacity etc. But overall...
The hoopla for Apple is all about growth... and things move on very quickly in the Apple world.   $108Bn was to September last year. To September this year we are looking at $170Bn. Adding $62Bn in one year is almost the entire size of MS... IN ONE YEAR. Apple has already turned $86Bn in 2Q since last September.   As to margins... This last quarter, Apple's % operating margin was actually higher than MS (41% vs 40%). HIGHER - for a hardware company - that has a high Cost...
Apple seem to knock off a major revenue competitor every year and will do so again this year. With Apple's FY ending in September, the $108Bn is not really CY2011 which would include the insane holiday quarter (which was about $20Bn more than the same one the year before). Amusingly, that would put Apple at or slightly above HP's 2011.   Just using the Apple FY   FY09 - $43Bn - not sure who they were gunning for? Still about $10Bn behind Nokia in 2009 FY10 -...
In the words of Ella Fitzgerald and Justin Timberlake... "cry me a river"   I along with many other (but a dwindling number of) early adopters have unlimited data and don't ever abuse the bandwidth. We pay $30 to use whatever amount, others pay $25 to use the same amount (below 2GB). AT&T makes $5 more on us which is the vast majority of users. The texting thing is chickens coming home to roost (as many others have said). Not since the Vikings has a more egregious...