or Connect

Posts by Capnbob

Everyone knows that Apple makes the $99-299 + the AT&T subsidy ($300-400) based on the PAYG prices. No-one calling BS on your comments has suggested otherwise. It is your implication that Apple is making $$s off the contract revenue that is being called False. If you are remembering anything, it was that Apple got a share of the contract revenue on the 2G iPhones when they were sold unsubsidized. That was officially ended when the 3G came out at a subsidized price. Apple...
Don't hold your breath - 2011 at best - the Verizon 4G network will be worthless unless the phone has full CDMA/EVDO failover/fallback. Could happen if China negotiations go that way, but they don't appear to be. I agree with others that AT&T has made itself the villain. I just got a 3GS and have far more dropped calls than with the 2G iPhone. 3G data is pitiful in the city (SF), though pretty great down the Peninsula. The term "Wrecked" is from an analyst and what do...
I would suggest that the reality of an 80:20 rule was the historical problem for Apple and what Steve Job's entire strategy for 12 years has been designed to break. When Apple was at its nadir, only the hardcore fans and "pro" users were really keeping Apple afloat. 80:20 probably applied. The massive expansion into the high-end consumer market I believe has been an attempt to reverse this position. What is replacing the traditionally dominant logic of Pareto theory these...
My black 3GS got unreasonably hot when I first got it home and backed up the old iPhone 2G settings and content to it. It was all hinky in general so I restored it and reinstalled things manually and it has worked OK since then except VVM is fried - will need to get a new handset for that when AT&T get some. (Yes I did troubleshoot with Apple and AT&T extensively). The black ones could be having the same issue but without visible signs?
Yes it is. Your opinion of what is useful is not relevant. There are more than 40 million users out there with a lot of differing opinions of what is useful - enough to shift a lot of apps, free, ad-supported and paid.The App store makes Apple some money for a very low investment. It is the focus of a lot of their iPhone/iTouch advertising and competitors can't match it. It creates stickiness for the platform - people don't want to lose access to their fave aps. It...
DoctorNo42 beat me to it but that is where I got my figures too. The Tivo example is instructive - $100, 50% redemption. I have missed several $100 and $200 rebates - for various reasons - usually because I let them expire in either sending in or cashing the check. Your estimates seem to based on what you think your hit rate might be, not what the great American public actually does - always stupider than you think.
This is dead on - Palm really need a lot more than $200 per phone (like iPhone did at launch before volumes went up, component prices came down and R&D was amortized). Sprint is the least able to subsidize a phone being in financial dire straits and iPhone sets the price point at $199. Rocks and hard places abound. Hence the rebate - which is a scam - even $100 rebates have a 30-50% redemption rate, smaller rebates usually well below 10%. The Pre had better be flawless or...
Not that this means they are poor but... "The average household income of Wal-Mart shoppers is around $35,000 to $40,000, compared with $55,000 to $60,000 for those at rival Target Corp., Edwards said" From MSNBC... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15626611/ Average Apple consumers... not sure these days but historically, they were always significantly above average income/education level - well you'd have to be to afford one This could be a good move to expand the franchise -...
I agree - my reality (only mine, I know), is that I have a 2yr old iPhone 2G, battery is still pretty good, but I have an iPhone/iPod charging ecosystem wherever I am. Office - desk charger/laptop usb cable On the road - dual tip to my Kensington laptop AC/DC power adapter or USB cable/laptop or rechargeable external battery pack (in the laptop bag) Car - dash mount and car charger (used for iPod too). In a pinch - anyone else's iPhone/iPod charger (even my mum has...
Not sure what benchmarks you would use to call the price indefensible? Maybe some weird moral code where things should not be more expensive than you think they should be or can afford? The portal to that bizzaro dimension must be very small It is simple business - price segmentation. If you have some thing revolutionary that you think people will pay a lot for, charge a lot for it so you get the early adopters/suckers' money. Normal business practice. Apple should only...