or Connect

Posts by Capnbob

DoctorNo42 beat me to it but that is where I got my figures too. The Tivo example is instructive - $100, 50% redemption. I have missed several $100 and $200 rebates - for various reasons - usually because I let them expire in either sending in or cashing the check. Your estimates seem to based on what you think your hit rate might be, not what the great American public actually does - always stupider than you think.
This is dead on - Palm really need a lot more than $200 per phone (like iPhone did at launch before volumes went up, component prices came down and R&D was amortized). Sprint is the least able to subsidize a phone being in financial dire straits and iPhone sets the price point at $199. Rocks and hard places abound. Hence the rebate - which is a scam - even $100 rebates have a 30-50% redemption rate, smaller rebates usually well below 10%. The Pre had better be flawless or...
Not that this means they are poor but... "The average household income of Wal-Mart shoppers is around $35,000 to $40,000, compared with $55,000 to $60,000 for those at rival Target Corp., Edwards said" From MSNBC... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15626611/ Average Apple consumers... not sure these days but historically, they were always significantly above average income/education level - well you'd have to be to afford one This could be a good move to expand the franchise -...
I agree - my reality (only mine, I know), is that I have a 2yr old iPhone 2G, battery is still pretty good, but I have an iPhone/iPod charging ecosystem wherever I am. Office - desk charger/laptop usb cable On the road - dual tip to my Kensington laptop AC/DC power adapter or USB cable/laptop or rechargeable external battery pack (in the laptop bag) Car - dash mount and car charger (used for iPod too). In a pinch - anyone else's iPhone/iPod charger (even my mum has...
Not sure what benchmarks you would use to call the price indefensible? Maybe some weird moral code where things should not be more expensive than you think they should be or can afford? The portal to that bizzaro dimension must be very small It is simple business - price segmentation. If you have some thing revolutionary that you think people will pay a lot for, charge a lot for it so you get the early adopters/suckers' money. Normal business practice. Apple should only...
Sorry you are pissed. I apologize for the tone of my response. However, this is pure supposition on your part - no basis in truth - just your bias about a device you see no need for.Nice to know we agree - I don't forensically review past posts, I just happened to disagree with your points in this thread. Sorry.I know a few people with one - I meant "of the people I know, every one who has one loves it" I'm sure you knew that or were just too pissed to consider that...
Seconded on the informative vote front! I was going to do this myself, as it is the obvious reason but you did it (better than I would). And I think Lemon Bon Bon has shut his/her yap. Double bonus. To back this up - a low-spec unibody AL MacBook for $892GBP at Dabs Direct, take off the VAT (US price are ex-VAT) and covert to $ at the current X-rate and you get an AL MacBook for $1085 (vs. $1299 in the US) Current white MacBook at PC world is $684GBP inc VAT (595GBP...
That's still six you don't have to carry, (net 5 including the device) and this is early days - the more people get into it, the more publishers will develop/submit e-content. I seem to remember the early days of iTunes people said the same thing - but it developed on the back of mainstream tastes and now has the majority of independent content too.
They could have opened it up, I agree, but Amazon seems to be taking a leaf out of Apple's book to create their preferred total ecosystem - (device, shop, channel, etc.) hence proprietary DRM and a proprietary device for the early adopters. The others don't have access to the whispernet and so break the Amazon "always on" model. If you are hardcore, you probably ditched your Sony for a Kindle anyway. Laptops are heavy, have crap batteries, are awkward to use other than on...
Your grasp of markets and segmentation is rudimentary at best. It is the aim of most companies to get a firm grip of the 10-20% of their market that drive most of the revenue. Amazon doesn't want to sell Kindles, it wants to sell eBooks. No matter how many iPhones or iTouches are sold, it will still be a sucky device for reading and drive only casual book purchasing/usage. Kindle buyers are obviously hardcore readers (or they wouldn't have spent so much on it) and so their...