or Connect

Posts by Capnbob

They could have opened it up, I agree, but Amazon seems to be taking a leaf out of Apple's book to create their preferred total ecosystem - (device, shop, channel, etc.) hence proprietary DRM and a proprietary device for the early adopters. The others don't have access to the whispernet and so break the Amazon "always on" model. If you are hardcore, you probably ditched your Sony for a Kindle anyway. Laptops are heavy, have crap batteries, are awkward to use other than on...
Your grasp of markets and segmentation is rudimentary at best. It is the aim of most companies to get a firm grip of the 10-20% of their market that drive most of the revenue. Amazon doesn't want to sell Kindles, it wants to sell eBooks. No matter how many iPhones or iTouches are sold, it will still be a sucky device for reading and drive only casual book purchasing/usage. Kindle buyers are obviously hardcore readers (or they wouldn't have spent so much on it) and so their...
It is initially logical but what I said was that that comparison is based on false assumptions. That Apple is happy with Acer/Dell margins or can magically create better ones without some clear differentiation. I'm not saying they can't create a mold-breaking low-end product but I don't think it will be a $199-399 netbook.It pretty much is clean cut. Porsche and VW have had very close relations for years but in recent history only have one shared product (Cayenne/Toureg -...
Ben, sorry for giving you such agita, but you seem to be suffering from the same issues you accuse me of... I didn't say Apple is infallible - and your suggestion I did indicates your paranoia, not mine. Neither blind or obeisance. I just respect Apple's business model and agree with its logic. I said I disagree with several of their decisions personally but I would make largely the same ones in their place. The bluster with which you proclaim to contradict my segments is...
Nice to see the whiners, cheapskates and those with cereal packet MBAs are out in full force. These typically delusional types all think they know what Apple should do and that amazingly coincidentally, it is exactly what would benefit them (xMac, cheaper Macs, etc,). When will you realize that Apple doesn’t owe you what you want, no matter how many Macs you’ve owned and that your insights are worth about as much as that crap you took after breakfast? For the record, I...
Absolutely. It was the right and only choice for Apple to get what they wanted and what we as consumers want (wifi, app store, Apple support, etc.). The iphone could not have been the game changer it is had Apple not played hardball with it's carrier, AT&T. The carrier exclusivity is the price of that game changing. Verizon would not play ball and now they suffer. It makes some sense but not a lot to make a CDMA2000/EV-DO phone given the stretching of Apple's engineering...
I used to be of the same opinion but decided to download a few games in the $1-3 range and have found several to be quite brilliant - huge timesinks!! In particular Flightcontrol and iShoot are personal faves. I was also impressed by iDracula. I might branch out into more expensive games soon (or wait til I get a more powerful device after June) but I can attest that casual gaming is pretty darn good on the iPhone/iTouch platform. At 99c for many of them, it doesn't hurt...
Goofball island - sounds like a new reality show... It's our language, the seppoes only licensed an old copy and then started making their own edits to the code. As for cooking skills - you're SOL there... why are the celebrity chefs in US primetime TV, British or thereabouts (Gordon R, Marco P W)? Partly because you lot can't get enough of the swearing in a fancy accent, but also because they can cook... as Michelin will attest. Celebrity chefs are numerous and hugely...
Are you talking about Canada, Alanis or the Galactica?
Fair point but learn what "ignoble" means - the opposite of what you think.