or Connect

Posts by Capnbob

AT A LOSS!! Can't make that up in volume...
I can't swear to it but I believe Android's origin was as a response to WinCE/WinMob which threatened to lock Google out of an MS dominated world. It had some passing similarities to Palm and RIM but MS was the target of fear for Google. Funny how it all turned out, eh?
Is Apple the iceberg, the torpedo or both? Android has hurt them in the low-end for sure but in all the big companies I work in (consulting) it is iPhones everywhere that are displacing high-end BBs.
It was the same the last time this story "broke" - "Apple and Samsung control industry profilts" NOOOO! Apple controls industry profits, Samsung comes a DISTANT second and most of the others barely break even. To give Apple and Samsung logical equivalence in this headline is nuts (Apple is 5x Samsung in this).
Regardless of where you are sitting , it will all be based on how many they could make and ship. If they are constrained on the retina displays, it will limit the launch sales. If they've stacked up 4M in the warehouses/factories, then we're golden for a big stretch number.
Download numbers for Apple don't include updates. I doubt it would for the others... if so, it would be a massive con.
The missing metric is across what base of users? If you have 1 million users then the 6M/day is a lot, if you have 100M users, it's not so much. Some apps could be downloaded 50,000 times a day if it's popular. What is the user base of BBs that can take the App-store Apps - All, some, BB5+, etc. I don't know. I think the installed base of BB is about 75M - not sure if they are all app-store capable. Apple has seen probably over 25Bn downloads from the App store to date...
I like how the example Siri request in the picture for location asks where 1 Infinite Loop is, when the user is clearly in 2 Infinite Loop. Not that it helps Siri to be next door...
They dropped that contract term when iPhones went subsidized.
Your relationship to a company is yours alone and is not relevant to a discussion of the industry and corporate performance. My product choices are not based on company dynamics but my appreciation for them as a corporate entity does. MS does of course contribute to the low margins on PCs since the $50-80 slice they take off the top kills the OEMs margins especially on cheap machines. The low share of high-value machines is clear in the low ASPs of the mainstream PC...