or Connect

Posts by Capnbob

No it isn't. As well as the news that Apple was bidding up prices on components to lock out competitors (esp. after 3/11),http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...el_supply.html Apple has been prepaying for parts in the billions of $s - that is a premium in itself since it gives the supplier 60-180 days extra with the cash to invest, make a return on etc.
As awesome and shambolic as English is, don't we all write the dictionary? It just takes a while for the new stuff to get published.
There is nothing natural about it. Being very sub scale enables you to have crazy growth rates like Android did in the early quarters (5000% etc.) but in a mature market with mature players there is no natural order that Apple (who are a top 5 manufacturer already) should be able to outperform the market. When netbooks were going crazy, Acer outgrow everyone because they were selling what the market wanted. The fact that Apple consistently outgrows the market has little to...
Anecdotally, a fair number of the Android phone owners at Engadget seem to be happy to admit that they bought an iPad2 since it was "still the only viable tablet". Pure anecdote but constantly surprising.
Good thoughts. It will be interesting and a western example of a potentially serious fork in the Android product as customers perceive it (rather than just the core OS) - like OMS and Tapas are Chinese forks. Another interesting thing is that unlike strugglers like Moto, or big players like Samsung etc. Amazon thrives on crappy, low retail margins. I expect what they are selling to be incredibly competitively priced. Unlike Apple - Amazon does expect to make it up on the...
Are you purposefully obtuse or just a really loud idiot? It is not that hard to understand but you refuse to even try... I will waste my time once more and then at your uniquely ridiculous riposte I shall quit while I retain some sanity. 1. TCO - it is what it is - your inane rant about macbooks is irrelevant. If you look up Gartner or other reputable TCO calcs and you will see that desktop support NOT all internal IT is $3900-5300 per PC over 3 years. It is just fact. 2....
Cool your jets psycho! Your arguments are a mess of business issues for a consumer users (consumers don't rent Chrome, they buy a machine) and consumer issues for business users (TCO for a business laptop is about $4-5000 over 3 years).The crapbook (as you call it) is NOT more expensive than the equivalent Windows machine for an enterprise. Do you have no idea what the Enterprise Total Cost of Ownership for a Business PC is? MS estimated at Win 7 launch that it would save...
Opening most MS Office files over the network is trivial. Many companies force you to do that today by making you save your files to local file servers. Really large complex files are likely not in the Chrome sweetspot but that is a minority of cases. Why would you conflate the relative strength of a specific piece of hardware as ANY FORM OF INVALIDATION OF THE PLATFORM? There will be bigger laptops, little ATV style desktops, plug in a monitor, and extra HD (tho why? for...
Nothing regular about being an engineer. Not that many of you around and you create superlarge and complex files. We are talking office drones here - bringing up your special case does nothing to invalidate Chrome for its intended purposes.Emailing large files around is why the cloud was invented. Most of my work with clients is to move them off email addiction which is the lowest and least useful form of collaboration. If that remains your use case then the emailing...
Business, Education, Business, Education, Business, Education, Business, Education, Business, Education, AD INFINITUM... Not replacing your iMac and 14TBs of HD video of your kid's ballet recitals. I have TBs of stuff at home but my work PC only does email, web surfing, MS Office, chat and PDF. I have about 6GB of collected content over my career most of which I will never need again. My job is very PC heavy (not building anything but spreadsheets, presentations and white...