or Connect

Posts by Capnbob

The machines and the OS have local storage - you can set all your office files to copy locally if needed. And how often do the corporate or education networks fail at all let alone for a prolonged or meaningful time. Almost never.WebOS is HP - HP has tons of money and more corporate relationships than any other IT company. If HP is smart this is what they are trying to do so they can sell cheap hardware and profitable service contracts (which is what Google is trying to...
For businesses and education they are charging for the app suite and such which IIRC is not part of the personalized data mining. Companies wouldn't sign up for it, Google isn't foolish enough to make them. They are paying for their part of a private cloud, just like all good enterprise hosting firms do. We run a massive multi-terabyte, constantly growing platform with the software vendor who in turn uses Amazon S3 to host, I believe. It passed our very stringent security...
I am advocating replacing them with almost disposable hardware (that costs less over 3 years than a properly supported Windows machine) using an OS that provides superior cloud-based performance. Most businesses and schools will take the Samsung desktop or similar which is basically a bumped up ATV2 type thing. Hardware will be under $200 and less likely to break than a laptop. Netbooks with Windows do nothing well - we have spent the last year+ crowing that in support of...
I realize that people who live alone on islands have no social skills but that means you should check your spewings as though you were a normal human being and not a little bile factory as you seem to be. Anyway, Dick and others have put forward their points based on experience but I would suggest that asking the stable and feed guys in 1890's New York what the requirements for transportation in 20 years time would be is about as useful. I work with IT guys all the time...
As a consultant (not IT), I work in many big corporations each year and while I agree that they mostly use desktops (though large cadres of people are now being given laptops and docking stations so they can telecomute etc.) most of the desktops are horror shows. Underpowered old things. And what are they increasingly trying to run - MS Virtual Desktop - a nightmare kluge of heavy technologies trying to local cloudify employee experience exactly the same as Google is...
As others have said, they use revenue as the yardstick. What is more interesting is the trajectory based on this year's predicted FY and then next. This year is looking like $105Bn conservatively and at least $140Bn in FY 2012. That gets them awfully close to top 10 and over doubling revenue (and profit no doubt) in 2 years. That's when tongues loll and chins hit the floor (and Apple becomes worth more than Exxon Mobil). Strap in, it's going to be an insane ride (but not...
So that implies that at $300 per unit, they sold ~16,000 units. If they only count the wholesale price then it might be 25,000 units at about $200 per unit. Either way - pitiful vs. 1M ATV2s.
I think in this case, they really are implying "slow".
I think there's a song for that... it's by Journey, it was used in the final episode of the Soprano's, the first episode of Glee, Target ads (I think)... c'mon it's on the tip of my tongue... tip-tonguey, tip-tonguey as our Inuit brethren would say. C'mon, someone help me out... PS OT but funny how one song gets used in 2 of the most defining series of recent times - one that ended an era (gritty, dark, compelling dramas that don't pander to advertisers see also the Wire,...
I'm trying to play spot the jackass but I keep coming back to you. Clearly, Apple's report yesterday was 18.6M iphones, revenue $12Bn, net income $3Bn - JUST FOR IPHONE.Nokia Q1 - 7.01Bn EUR (~$9.5Bn) for Devices and Services. Are you really going to compare the iPhone to Nokia including the network infrastructure business (~$5Bn) (and NAVTEQ licensing - $0.3Bn)?$9.5Bn vs. $12Bn is the appropriate comparison. PS Accessories are the difference between reported and...