or Connect

Posts by ByronVanArsdale

It is interesting to see one reference to "multi-function handset" yet the rest of the article refer to "smartphone". Does smartphone = mult-function handset?
The introduction date on the graphic is wrong for the PowerBook G4 - I got my 17inch PBG4 in January 2003. Time to update your graphic.
Not sure I agree gloss - no one has mentioned the bane of background noise. (can' t wait to get a jawbone so I can call from any environment without distracting the call). If you could control/eliminate things like background noise (or music on hold!) without a full global/individual mute (currently available on most teleconference lines), this WOULD be game-changing. Perhaps Apple will provide an equalizer with settings like: Cut out background noise; Boost volume of a...
Shamino - I don't think CREB said no one talks out of turn or gets into an argument.... it was about listening only for the important bullets. Sounds smart to me if you are the participant and not the leader. The leader has a bigger challenge. It is not the role of technology (aside from say a taser ) to derail politically motivated people who use cc's to further their personal agenda. It IS the role of the leader to develop the skills to make the cc as productive for...
Simply put, etiquette is everything when leading a cc. Establishing etiquette and maintaining it throughout the call is essential for leading an effective call, especially when you have cc's with internal and external participants. It is simple - have everyone say their name first. If you are interested, here's a post I've written about handling Skype based cc's where there is time delay in the responses.http://www.conferencecalltraining.com/power/?p=89 Hanging up on...
Thanks CREB - great resource that I didn't know about.
CREB - depends on the type of and frequency of the conference call. Say you are meeting the same project team for the past year - the group knows each other and has a flow to it. Add a new member to the team and they'd be lost trying to track who is saying what. A huge time waster on calls starts with something like this: "I can't remember who said this but...." which is quickly followed up by "oh, that was Betty" and as phsyguy said, the flow of the call is broken. How...
Agree strongly with physguy. CREB - you may be right about no net gain from acoustic separation. I've spent thousands of hours on conference calls use my binaural headset to cut out noise and distraction. The idea of being able to position say Betty on my left, Bob on my right is useful IF we are talking small number of call participants. I said it previously, call etiquette works well ONCE you get everyone trained to follow it. Psyguy is right - information without...
After six hours on the tarmac at DFW waiting to de-ice, conference calls were looking VERY sexy to me!
Have you tried having people say their name first before speaking? Etiquette is essential on a conference call of any size. Can't wait for stereo microphones!