or Connect

Posts by Sevenfeet

I don't understand this.  Don't Samsung phones already have NFC for mobile payments baked into their designs?  Haven't those users already been able to piggyback onto the Apple Pay explosion of the last several weeks?   As for the technology in LoopPay, the biggest problem I can see is security.  You're basically using a fob to replicate a swipe at the terminal without having to do an actual swipe.  The biggest problem with this is that the old swipe technology is...
I'm not really disagreeing with you on your last sentence.  If the receiver of the information does nothing with it, then they will generally escape prosecution.  If they act on it or pass it on to someone else, then they are setting themselves up for prosecution. I may be conflating the regulations, but the spirit of what is trying to be enforced is consistent.  Don't reveal material information about the company in a manner that is not consistent with securities laws,...
Actually, you're wrong on this one.  First, I took my company's course on this only two weeks ago so my memory is fresh on all this.  But I also have some real world examples where people got into trouble.  The easiest example I can think of is my former company that got acquired into the company I work at now.  Back over a decade ago, our CFO got into trouble with the SEC for revealing what's known as "material information" about the company to a group of large investors...
I mean what I say.  At the Sr. VP level, Dave is a Director officer in the company.  If he reveals key sales data to myself, an outsider who works for another large silicon valley tech company, then he'd be in trouble for insider trading laws, regardless of whether I did anything with the information.  If I did anything with the information other than report it to authorities, then I'd be charged against those same laws.  My company makes all of us do training classes on...
 What I meant is that they were reviewed well.  I don't know sales numbers and I doubt Dave would tell me if I asked (major SEC violation).  The Fire didn't exactly set the world on fire (pun intended) when it was reviewed.  It was solid, but solid isn't enough in this market.
I've known Dave Limp for 30 years, since our college days.  We were hired at Apple together.  He's been an incredibly gifted and talented engineer and manager, and throughout his career and he's done very well for himself.  A number of Apple products in the 90's (PowerMacs) were his designs.   Of course, not every design is going to do well in the marketplace and I know he's disappointed about the Fire.  He was hired to do Amazon's first phone which had lower...
I'll add to that.  Thurgood Marshall was the chief lawyer for the NAACP back in the 1950s who among other things, argued Brown vs. Board of Education in front of the Supreme Court that we would later join.  He was also a close friend of my grandfather.  When he used to visit my grandparents in Opelika, AL during this period, he always traveled under an assumed name since he was afraid of getting lynched in Alabama.  Seriously.  This was the Alabama Tim Cook grew up in....
Actually it's because Apple is an a post-1980's IPO stock high.  Any decline is natural profit taking.  Which you are also considering.  Automatic trading programs don't read Businessweek.
Good question.  15 years ago when Cook was new at Apple, we were still in the age were "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" was considered to be liberal policy on LGBT participation in the military, if not other parts of daily living.  At the same time when Ellen Degeneres came out (1997), she had a successful sitcom ("Ellen") and the news of her orientation caused a backlash, effectively killing the show.  Fast forward to 2003 and the "Ellen DeGeneres Show" is the most popular daytime...
It was "an open secret".  Now it's just "open".  Open secrets are still socially problematic because (in this case) he was still acknowledging the obvious to placate the bigotry of others.  The charade is over, thankfully.  And like he said, if it inspires one LGBT kid to advance professionally in business through his example, then opening the world to his life is a good thing.