or Connect

Posts by Sevenfeet

Installed iOS 9 on a vintage iPhone 4s that used to be my mother's primary phone (she's on a iPhone 6 now).  So far so good although I haven't linked it to my iCloud account yet.
I've been working with "Big Pharma" and technology for many years.  It's easy to make criticism of them for their profit driven goals (who doesn't want to make money?).  But in this case, the motives for looking at things like ResearchKit are pretty simple "It's the Science, Stupid!"   Every drug that makes it out of the lab phase (Phase I in clinical trials) has to do Phase II (limited human trials) and Phase III (larger human trials).  Every trial has a strict regimen...
No Apple TV update yet...
Still waiting for the 10.4.4 Combo update to hit the servers.  Nothing yet...
A phone with a portable DAC and a nice set of headphones makes a great high fidelity experience on the go.   Portable DACs are one of the fastest growing segments of high end audio.
I took the Tidal test.  No, I didn't get everything right.  Most people don't.
AAC was invented by the same German company who came up with MP3. AAC was supposed to be a better standard in terms of quality vs. file size and was intended to replace MP3 but MP3 still lives to this day. I imagine that Spotify is using Ogg Vorbis since they don't have to pay a royalty. That being said, I would have paid a premium for CD quality or better. Maybe one of these days we'll get it. Right now, Tidal is the only game in town for audiophiles.
10 points for knowing your history.  Yes, Filemaker originally came from Nashoba Systems in the days when HyperCard was still a thing. Claris was also known for AppleWorks, which was the grandfather of the iWorks suite Apple provides now.  And the original Appleworks dated back to the Apple ][ and /// days...the later Mac versions would even be able to upgrade old Apple II files for quite some time.  I remember way back in my Apple days of converting a bunch of Appleworks...
Certainly Nokia has not had a good experience with Here.  NAVTEQ was purchased by Nokia to form HERE in 2007 for $8.1 billion.  If the asking price is now $3+ billion for the entire operation, then that's not a good investment by Nokia.  On the other hand, Apple is looking to bolster it's mapping effort...that much is certain and they have not been shy on making strategic purchases.  And since Nokia is not a US based company, Apple can pay for it with off-shore money they...
While the companies behind MCX really really hate swipe fees from Visa, MasterCard and Amex, Best Buy is seeing the writing on the wall for another problem that is a lot bigger for them:  fraud.  Best Buy stores are one of the biggest targets in the United States for buying merchandise with stolen credit cards.  Anything that will cut down the potential of fraud in their stores is something they need to pursue...this is a big issue with their senior leadership (CFO, CEO,...