or Connect

Posts by Sevenfeet

Here's what I'm looking for from Apple: 1.  HD music sold from iTunes Store at least 24/96 khz.2.  An option for HD downloads of existing music through iTunes Match3.  A larger number of songs allowed to match in iTunes Match (at least 100K, Amazon allows 250K).  HD music owners often have larger libraries anyway.4.  Compatibility for HD music for Airplay, at least in newer devices like the Airport Express 802.11n third gen and third party receivers (my 2013 Denon receiver...
 Ah, well that explains why this seems to happen with the 24/192khz files more than anything else. I had earlier sent Apple's feedback page a lengthy request for HD music and Airplay compatibility.  We'll see what happens.
I wouldn't mind paying a higher tier price (within reason) for iTunes Match in order to match and download HD versions of tracks I already own.  And iTunes Match should match previously purchased HD music (it does this now in a limited sense but it has had trouble on some tracks I purchased from HD Tracks).
 The difference between Apple and Amazon is that Amazon designs their stuff but they don't have the resources yet to design their own silicon.  An old friend of mine is the VP at Kindle (the Kindle Fire is his baby) and I'm pretty comfortable in saying that.  Even iFixit commented in their teardown of the device that the Fire TV has a lot of "battle tested" chips in the case...things that are off the shelf and have been seen in other designs.  Apple designs its own silicon...
 It's harder to tell higher fidelity music from compressed music on the equipment that most people have in their homes or cars.  Let's face it, most consumer grade music playback equipment out there isn't that good (but still better than 20-30 years ago).  But if you've invested in top quality equipment that is either audiophile or near audiophile, you can certainly tell the difference.  I have some music purchased from HD Tracks and Linn.  Nearly all of it sounds a lot...
 We all know that: 4K/UHD is coming (already here, really).A new Apple TV is comingHEVC/H.265 is coming (The Galaxy S4 was an early adopter on this) It's not too farfetched to speculate that the next Apple TV might have H.265 baked in.  Apple can certainly do this and do it on the hardware level without having to acquire the technology in a separate chip.  The next generation iPad/iPhone I would think would almost certainly have it.  H.265 is the best way to practically...
 +1 on this.  I've been hoping that Apple would sell HD music for years.  They certainly can and we're long past the point where the size of the files from a download standpoint is a problem.  After all, this is the streaming video/Netflix era.  The big problem is that from a practical standpoint, the only way to accurately play back HD music in the Apple universe has been iTunes playing through a USB DAC.  According to internet sources, Airplay changes all music being...
 It's not necessary to slam him; we all know what he meant.  Magnetic tape recording was made practical in WWII but not used commercially until 1948 (Ampex) and then popularized in recording studios a few years later when Les Paul invented the multitrack recorder.  But before that, popular music was indeed recorded on vinyl...78 RPM records that were hardly high fidelity and had their own problems.
 I don't think there is any technical difference between the formats that's worth talking about.  FLAC does have a multi-channel component defined, but no one uses it.  Every modern processor (desktop, mobile and embedded) has plenty of horsepower to decode and play either of them.  FLAC preceded ALAC by three years (2001 vs. 2004).  FLAC was created to deal with the monster sizes of WAV & AIFF recordings in something more manageable.  ALAC came later since Apple often...
 Not really.  Both uncompress to what is commonly known as AIFF, which is 2 channel PCM audio encoded in a file.  AIFF stands for Apple Interchange File Format and was pioneered by Apple in the late 80s and quickly made the standard in music mastering then...and now.  Microsoft and IBM came out with WAV a couple of years later, which was basically the same thing.