or Connect

Posts by Sevenfeet

I've got a 105 MB/sec connection to Comcast.  It's coming in pretty good....should be done in 3 mins (40% done now).   After that, I have a number of household Macs to upgrade.  Oldest are the 2008 Mac Pro I'm typing on and my 2007 Macbook Pro which is an iTunes and file server in the house.  Newest is my wife's 2013 MBAir.  Two more utility MacBooks are in the house too, 2009 vintage.  This will take awhile.   EDIT:  OK, it's finished.  Time to distribute to the...
Not there yet...still throwing errors on download. Update after 2 minutes....there's the download!
I don't think we disagree on much here.  I was only pointing out the merits of sog's post, not making a commentary about his previous posts which is what you were clearly thinking about. As far as the whole insider trading thing, we've all seen the timeline of events.  It may be clearly nothing.  But I can state that the timeline alone would trigger an informal investigation by the SEC.  I had a friend of mine actually prosecuted for insider trading some years back on much...
Actually sog35 is pretty close to the mark.  The CEO is going to have to face insider trading allegations, and they have certainly prosecuted people for far less.  He's in serious trouble, both from the SEC and from his investors.  None of the allegations currently filed in bankruptcy court looks like it would hold merit on first blush.  As had been said before, it's not like Tim Cook put a gun to his head (or their board of directors).  They entered into an agreement to...
 Bingo.  When it comes to major Apple products, any news in the rumor mill can cause stock price swings affecting market cap in the billions of dollars.  And it tips off competitors to Apple's plans, often leading to them rushing to add features before Apple.  A few other smartphone manufacturers are doing sapphire screens now, not because they really believe in it or have gotten the costs in line, but solely because they know Apple is going to do it given what's already...
He was the first to spot it? It was published on Apple's website the day of the announcement. Yes, it's sort of something you'd miss, but I imagine most people who scanned the page saw it. H.265 compatibility is not a huge surprise...the Samsung S4 has had an early version for months now, but the iPhone 6 having it means that Apple will likely start encoding content to it for that device's consumption. I imagine that future iPads and Apple TVs will get this feature...
The other thing is that Apple's page is directing the general public to watch the announcement live tomorrow. I can't think of the last time that's happened. Usually the live events get enough buzz without it, and Apple certainly posts the replays on the main site. Apple is making sure that a wide audience is going to hear about this one.
 I agree, it's not cashing in.  Whenever an artist dies, there is an increased interest in their work.  Apple is just making it easier to find. And there is another important reason....Robin Williams' voice was still being used in Apple's "Your Verse" ad campaign until yesterday and the commercial featuring him was still in rotation.  It only makes sense that Apple acknowledges it...as Tim Cook did yesterday.
I met Bill Campbell at an Apple-sponsored party in December 1985 while I was still in college. I still have his business card from those days. Probably the most successful career change from being an unsuccessful college football coach in history (Columbia lost 4 years in a row). Mac users might be mad about Quicken over the years, but I doubt Steve Jobs would have been the leader he was in his second act with Bill Campbell as a sounding board.
First, none of this should be a surprise to anyone.  The bigger surprise is that Apple waiting until weeks after WWDC to give details on this, especially since Craig Federigui spoke briefly about it during the Photos demo.  Even though he didn't address it then, it was evident that Aperture's days as a separate app were numbered.   Why?  First, the renaming of "iPhoto" which is the old OS X name to "Photos" which is the iOS name is no accident.  Aperture was a great idea...