or Connect

Posts by Sevenfeet

I have four of these.  So far things have been good except for an odd false alarm last week.  Resetting the unit seems to be fixed it..for now anyway.  Otherwise we've been pleased with them and if I really burn something in the kitchen, it works as advertised and wave works too.   I'm happy that they proactively decided to announce this, disable the feature and offer refunds.  As for me, I'm sure the engineers will get the algorithm right in the end.  They continue to...
 Uh, that is what you said.  You speculated on a future where Apple buys Intel and then shuts down production of everything except what Apple needs.  That is practically saying that Intel ceases to exist for the rest of the world that uses their products.  Did I miss something? And yes, its still crazytalk.
A legacy of Tim Cook, who eliminated Apple's owned factories by early 2000s.  Other providers were better at it and it gives Apple more flexibility to adjust for product/market shifts.  Even the new Sapphire plant in the US is owned by someone else (same for the Mac Pro plant).
Uh, no.  Let's just play your game that Intel just disappeared tomorrow.  What would happen?  Outside of panic in the tech world and a huge stock market crash (I wish I were kidding), the most immediate winner would be AMD since everyone would flock to them to get their chips.  Since AMD doesn't have Intel's fab capacity (or depth of products, or performance), chip prices would skyrocket until market forces equalized, probably in two years.  Not to mention every body who...
 They would, just not as many.  According to Gartner and reported on this website, Apple now has a market share of 13.7% in the Intel PC space.  So that means that 86.3% of Intel's products are sold to other companies.  Intel might have 10 fab plants producing that.  Apple might barely need one of those plants, and I doubt all of what Apple's buys are made in the same place anyway. Intel's chips may not be in phones or tablets, but they pretty much are everywhere else....
 You're implying that Apple-owned Intel would terminate all agreements except for that Apple needs.  That's silly.  First, just think about how many fab plants, operations, R&D and everything else Intel spends money on.  Apple's piece of the customer pie is small (despite the fact they are one of Intel's single biggest customers).  If you shut down all that stuff, then the cost to produce what Apple needs would skyrocket just due to the fact that Intel's profits are...
It is true...they have terminated agreements with other companies after acquisitions.  The most important one I can think of was PA Semi which was doing stuff for the military.  And that gets into the heart of why you just don't buy Intel's business to shut it (mostly) down.  First, you'd throw a tremendous number of people out of work in the United States during a period where Apple has pledged to bring jobs back to these shores.  Second, products with Intel chips have a...
 Apple buying Intel won't happen.  Apple has no desire to make money on everyone else's mainline chips (and ceasing production is stupid for a zillion reasons).  What Apple can do is have Intel build it's A-class ARM chips instead of Samsung.  I'm sure Apple would love that but Intel still would have to get over being just a chip-fab for a competitor's technology.
 You have no idea how well the Nest products are selling from Apple Retail.  And the more I think about this, the less I am surprised by it.  First all of, Nest already had Google Ventures money in it.  So it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that Google might just write a check for one of the startups it has funded. Apple buys a lot of companies...but they don't buy everyone.  We also have no idea if Apple made a play on them but I'd be very surprised if...
Interesting acquisition.  I'm a Nest customer (2 learning thermostats, 4 Protects)...Tony Fadell just made a ton of money.  Hopefully Nest will continue to make great things and be platform agnostic.  Given Google's other efforts, I'm not worried.   Of course, I'm assuming we'll all now have to link our Nest accounts with Google+ (I wish I were kidding).