or Connect

Posts by Sevenfeet

Unlikely. This isn't 1997...Apple doesn't need the money that badly. More likely Apple is the only vendor that actually has completed cables manufactured right now and rather than hold up shipment of a $1400-$2000 box for a $50 cable, they are just relying on the customer to buy it through Apple. As cable manufacturers catch up, it's likely you'll see them and other vendors include them like they do Firewire and USB cables now.
I'm sure somebody is working on a TB->USB 3.0 solution as we speak. Somehow I doubt the first generations of such a product will have Firewire since Firewire ports are still found on every shipping Mac (save the MacBook Airs and the white Macbook). A Firewire version would be invaluable the day that Apple stops providing the port on mainstream Macs (iMacs, Macbook Pros, Mac Pros). There are still a lot of people with Firewire external storage and Firewire-based Pro...
The reason is pretty simple. It's too much trouble to bother certifying every specific drive that you could use out there with a market that quickly changes like hard drives. These things are commodities anyway. Only in the biggest data center applications do vendors care which drives go into these things. Yes, there are some issues occasionally...the earliest 1.5 TB drives were problematic in RAIDs and not every older RAID supports advanced formatting (4K blocks). ...
The specs sheet on Promise's web site says the R4 and R6 are good for SATA II and SATA III although the manual only mentions SATA I and II. Calling Promise should get that little issue resolved.What's interesting about the R4 and R6 is that they are Thunderbolt ONLY solutions...no USB, Firewire or eSATA. The only other port is a serial connection used for UPS monitoring. I just read the manual and it looks like it's mostly based on the features of Promise's earlier...
In the history of Apple products, there have been a few times they've broken with conventional wisdom and dropped a popular connectivity option. In 1984, the original Mac came with RS-422 ports featuring a DIN-8 configuration versus the more common RS-232 serial interface and it didn't come at all with the very popular parallel port interface. That limited Apple's ability to have Macs connect to anything for two years until the peripheral market caught up (and SCSI was...
I might agree, except that USB is too ubiquitous right now to drop (Apple still sells wired USB keyboards and third party printers for example). USB is not going anywhere for years. As far as using the Thunderbolt port to plugin break-out boxes for other legacy ports (like USB/Firewire), do any of these devices actually exist yet? I'm sure that they will soon, but they probably won't be priced cheaply when they first hit the market. I think we'd be lucky to see such a...
Here's my shot at Mac Mini predictions (I own a 2009 Mac Mini). I'm extrapolating from the 13" MacBook Pro, which is it's closest design cousin. Certainty: Sandy Bridge w/core i5 processors @ 2 cores. Thunderbolt (1 port) USB 2.0 (4 ports) Firewire 800 (1 port) Mini Displayport (EDIT: this is in the Thunderbolt port...sorry for being redundant) Intel HD 3000 graphics (sorry, nothing better than this) SDXC slot Maybe: 4 gigs standard (up to 8 gigs offered, OWC will find...
But they do ge health care. What's interesting about this is that this kind of executive leaving of Apple for a CEO job doesn't happen that often. At GE in the Jack Welch days, they considered the top managers leaving for CEO jobs of their own not a bad thing...it validated GE's model of developing leaders. Apple on the other hand keeps most of their top talent exactly where they want them...working for Steve. How many jobs has Tim Cook turned down? Or Schiller?
iTunes 10.3.x is not beta. iCloud IS beta. Apple's iTunes web page didn't make this entirely clear. They wouldn't have pushed a new iTunes over Software Update to everyone if it were beta. Apple isn't Google in this respect.
Ironically the same amount of money that Microsoft fronted Apple in early '97. At that point, it was (and still is) chump change to Microsoft but for a company in a death spiral with less than $4 billion socked away, that kind of money was significant working capital for Apple. My how times have changed.