or Connect

Posts by Sevenfeet

What's scary about the modern Apple to its competitors is that Apple made nearly as much in profit for FY2010 ($14b) as they did in revenue for all of FY2005. That's serious growth and Apple now has serious power. Wall Street really wants Apple to do something with the money which is currently earning <1%. I can't say I blame them, but it's not like Apple hasn't made them all rich in the last decade. If you drop a multi-billion investment on something, you want it to...
Actually, Oracle bought Java. But we get the joke.
What would Apple ever need in Facebook? I mean seriously? Facebook is just a big advertising engine with lots of privacy problem. It may generate cash, but then again, so does Apple products. Most Apple products integrate with Facebook already and Ping will likely come on shortly. Why spend billions on that? Historically Apple buys small companies with large upside in multiples for the investment. Yes they are keeping their proverbial powder dry for a large...
Microsoft? Are you kidding?Adobe? Only if they go nuclear and stop producing Mac software (which is financial suicide anyway)Oracle? Nahh, Steve and Larry are friends and Steve doesn't want Oracle's businessHP? Steve doesn't care for HP but still doesn't want their businessRIM? Please. Never buy someone on the way down.Intel? Too expensive and fraught with anti-trust problems. And Steve doesn't want their business either.AMD? Unnecessary. What do they have that...
Steve's speech was clearly one of those "C-E-Oh-no-he-didn't!" moments. Not only did he slam RIM as yesterday's news, but threw the gauntlet down at Android. This call is the most interesting in some time.
Why should Apple do any of this? Because you wish it? Sorry, that's not good enough. You do realize that supporting other codecs isn't just an iTunes function. Every iPod made since 2001 supports at least some of the various codecs that Apple officially supports. Any changes to that list will have to be written for many devices and a lot of them are done at the hardware level for maximum battery performance. And as for Windows Media Audio, Apple said years ago they...
If anyone was talking merger in this meeting, it was Adobe. Microsoft needs Adobe in house now about as much as they need Nokia. Adobe is a large, expensive company who's product line is mature with limited growth (just like Nokia). Adobe wants Flash to be the mobile standard much like the desktop, but they were hampered by their own inability to deliver a working product for 3 years. And what would an Adobe+Microsoft alliance do for Flash? Clearly Microsoft already...
If that's going to happen (technically possible since Apple TV, another iOS device, will be doing that) then 10.6.5 and iOS 4.2 will be necessary. Both should arrive in the next several weeks.
One thing for sure is that Remote 2.0 is vastly superior to version 1.0 which had been reported recently as kinda neglected and dying on the vine. The real reason was that Apple was working on a completely new app that has little in common with the old one outside of the fact that both control iTunes remotely. The iPad version finally gives me the flexibility I knew this product could really do. I'm sure there will be a bug fix or two down the line but it'll be really...
It was a pretty big deal to change the icon for iTunes. That icon is the brand behind a huge business inside of Apple. I can understand why Apple would want to get away from a CD-based logo since the iTunes Store is killing CDs anyway. The iTunes icon has changed before (mostly colors) but the basic design has been around for a long long time. Other notes... It does seem faster, especially in album cover views. It's much better for people like myself with very large...