or Connect

Posts by Sevenfeet

Maybe, but the Protect will still alert you to get the hell out, regardless of where the CO leak is coming from.
Boy, some of the comments in this thread act are pretty devoid of reading...like the manuals..and interviews with Nest executives.   First, read the Wired article interviewing Tony Fadell.  One of the things he mentioned is that he had to assign two of his people full time to working with Underwriters Laboratories just to wrap their brains around the regulations surrounding smoke alarms.  It's a highly regulated industry, much like health care and building codes...don't...
 I'm not sure I buy the argument that they can't spend money wisely.  In fact I'd say that they have probably done it the best of their competitors.  It's true that Apple has never gone for the big acquisition since those kinds of deals are fraught with peril.  What they have done is go after small to medium sized companies whose tech always ends up in an Apple product at some point.  The biggest deal Apple has ever done was buying NeXT for $400 million back in...
 Well, if it were to do it today, sure.  But the plan was to return $100 million to investors over a two year period.  Apple generates a lot of cash over 24 months.  But in order to do it, Apple would actually borrow cheap money since not all of it's money is in the US.  Icahn wants Apple to increase that plan by an additional $50 billion. The problem here is that Apple is already stepping out of its proverbial comfort zone by having any debt on the books.  The idea is...
Don't forget the Mac Mini. A Haswell based Mac Mini would be a killer little machine consuming even less power than it does now.
Confirmed...it's been yanked.
One more comment to Applewellian...if you think that Apple isn't going to address the file system issue, then you haven't been paying attention on that front. We'd be using ZFS by now were it not the IP issues involved in using it. And it also involves the central problem of a critical piece of tech that Apple does not control. And it was made for the data center, not for mobile devices. My opinion is that Apple decided to punt on ZFS and start over from the ground up,...
Applewellian's argument is sound. Apple top brass may not be happy with Samsung in general, but they won't let that get in the way of pragmatic business decisions. I do think that TSMc will eventually end up making A-series chips for Apple if nothing else because Apple (and supply chain guru Tim Cook specifically) hates to put all his eggs into the basket of a single source. That's Supply Chain 101. Also, whenever that happens, that foundry would most likely be in the...
I have a Gen 2 and a Gen 3, both on wired Ethernet using static IP addresses. Both took a long time, but eventually began showing the screen saver, in which you thought everything was ok. But if you pressed the menu button, both units went to a black screen and refused to wake up. Cutting power to the units got them working again, seeing the "new features" screen on reboot and everything has been ok since.
 1.  Google didn't use JavaME.  They rolled their own.  That takes time.  Not to mention the development time in building a phone, then changing course and revamping the design when the iPhone launched. 2.  I could say that OS X wasn't designed for a phone either.  I'm sure the Rhapsody teams were really focused on mobile in 1997.  And Java is still used in servers because server architectures are not homogeneous.  You might need to run on POWER (AIX), SPARC (Solaris),...