or Connect

Posts by Sevenfeet

Updated my wife's 2013 MBA with no install issues.
I'm not sure why the article thinks the idea of a Google Fridge is that weird. Samsung has made a fridge with a screen and apps for a few years now. The screen is pretty lame quality and the apps are few (Pandora on your fridge!) but it has WiFi and has potential as Google has surmised. Not that everyone will want such a product, but the potential certainly exists.
Apple bought 24 companies in the last 18 months and we barely know about half of them. Apple almost never buys a company with fully fleshed out end user products...it's all about picking up pieces of technology that can help them reach a much bigger goal. PA Semi didn't make products for end users and Apple wanted them for their tech and engineers. We've seen the fruits of that in Apple's CPU designs. Who would have thought back then that Apple would be alone in the...
 I agree.  I've never understood this.  Sharing on the Video app from local iTunes databases hasn't really ever improved.
 Apple dictates a lot of standards to others.  That being said, you're right that a lot of content comes in different forms.  I suspect that some content is only available in 16 bit/44.1 khz CD "Redbook".  I would like to have access to the Redbook files if higher definition is unavailable.  And then you are at the mercy or whatever standard the producer mastered the content in the first place.  These days most is 24 bits wide but can come in at 44.1, 48, 96, 172 or 192...
Here's what I'm looking for from Apple: 1.  HD music sold from iTunes Store at least 24/96 khz.2.  An option for HD downloads of existing music through iTunes Match3.  A larger number of songs allowed to match in iTunes Match (at least 100K, Amazon allows 250K).  HD music owners often have larger libraries anyway.4.  Compatibility for HD music for Airplay, at least in newer devices like the Airport Express 802.11n third gen and third party receivers (my 2013 Denon receiver...
 Ah, well that explains why this seems to happen with the 24/192khz files more than anything else. I had earlier sent Apple's feedback page a lengthy request for HD music and Airplay compatibility.  We'll see what happens.
I wouldn't mind paying a higher tier price (within reason) for iTunes Match in order to match and download HD versions of tracks I already own.  And iTunes Match should match previously purchased HD music (it does this now in a limited sense but it has had trouble on some tracks I purchased from HD Tracks).
 The difference between Apple and Amazon is that Amazon designs their stuff but they don't have the resources yet to design their own silicon.  An old friend of mine is the VP at Kindle (the Kindle Fire is his baby) and I'm pretty comfortable in saying that.  Even iFixit commented in their teardown of the device that the Fire TV has a lot of "battle tested" chips in the case...things that are off the shelf and have been seen in other designs.  Apple designs its own silicon...
 It's harder to tell higher fidelity music from compressed music on the equipment that most people have in their homes or cars.  Let's face it, most consumer grade music playback equipment out there isn't that good (but still better than 20-30 years ago).  But if you've invested in top quality equipment that is either audiophile or near audiophile, you can certainly tell the difference.  I have some music purchased from HD Tracks and Linn.  Nearly all of it sounds a lot...