or Connect

Posts by Sevenfeet

It's hard to completely discern the actions of the Microsoft Board of Directors based upon the press release.  Yes Bill Gates still effectively controls Microsoft through his stock and board position, but Ballmer's own stake in Microsoft isn't tiny...it's pretty enormous too.  Did the board think it was time for new blood?  Maybe.  Did Ballmer think after all these years with the company that it was time to slow down?  Maybe.   The biggest surprise in all this is that a...
Let's be serious for a moment.  Yes, Microsoft in the last dozen years has made a pile of money.  A big pile of money.  And Ballmer has been there from the early days of the company as he reminds everyone when they just had 30 employees.  His involvement in the company has enriched his own personal fortune to well over $20 billion, making him one of the richest men in the world.  Most of us would kill for that kind of success.   But history will not be kind for his...
Microsoft's attempt at retransformation has been interesting to watch.  I was traveling on business this week and stopped at the Stanford Mall, a trendy outdoor mall in Menlo Park, CA.  There is a Microsoft Store there, the first I'd ever seen in person.  It was a good sized store with big glass windows.  Inside were a layout completely reminiscent of an Apple store....study light colored wood tables, attractive displays and lots and lots of Surface products on display,...
I am the happy owner of two gen 1 Nests first acquired in January 2012, so yes I was an early adopter. Have they been problem free? No. One had a hardware failure and went back early on. The other one got confused and went off line for a couple of days and then somehow cleared itself. Nest insisted on taking it back anyway so they could study it. Consumer electronics break...that's the name of the game. But average companies separate themselves from the good or...
My grandmother grew azaleas for nearly 40 years at her home in Opelika, AL...which is the neighboring town to Auburn where Tim Cook went to college.  The flowers are quite popular in that part of the country.   Interesting...
Apple and specifically Tim Cook has always said that it's better to cannibalize yourself than have someone else do it.  Get a grip, people.
One thing about this release is that it's a lot faster spooling up the content lists and art if you are using the Home Sharing. If you have a large library, it used to take several seconds for the Apple TV to bring up the content lists of Music, Movies or TV Shows. Now it's a lot faster and that makes it much more usable as a feature. My iOS 6 devices in my house (iPhone 4 and iPhone 5) still take forever to spool up the list for my Home Sharing content. I'm hoping...
Overall performance is pretty nice so far.  I've tried a five year old MacBook Pro running ML, a one week old HP laptop running Windows 8, an 18 month old Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 Pro and lastly, my home server which is an ancient Dell Poweredge 2800 running Windows Server 2008 R2.  Despite running Xeons, the Dell is not really faster compared to modern machines (even laptops).  But my 21,000 song library, movie and TV library is all on it.  So far, performance...
  That's the same bug I saw.  I've also seen the bug on my iPhone in the iTunes Store app so I gather this is a server side problem (and not iTunes per se) that I'm sure that Apple has identified and are trying to fix right now.  I work in support for a larger enterprise software company so I imagine that some people like me are on a conference call right now with some pretty peeved Apple engineers trying to work through the issue before it becomes widely reported as...