or Connect

Posts by Sevenfeet

1.  Google didn't use JavaME.  They rolled their own.  That takes time.  Not to mention the development time in building a phone, then changing course and revamping the design when the iPhone launched. 2.  I could say that OS X wasn't designed for a phone either.  I'm sure the Rhapsody teams were really focused on mobile in 1997.  And Java is still used in servers because server architectures are not homogeneous.  You might need to run on POWER (AIX), SPARC (Solaris),...
 It's pretty much true.  NeXTSTEP is the grandfather of iOS (with OS X being the father).  iOS, OS X and NeXTSTEP all use Obj-C as the primary programming language, had similar kernel structures, I/O and system calls.
I also think that this article is terrible on the technical details. DED claims that would be too hard to do, fraught with compromises and ultimately not practical. What is fails to realize is that Oracle/Sun has been offering 32 and 64 bit versions of the Java JVM for years now. Recently I had a customer who was having serious problems running their enterprise middleware software stack. The recommendation was to change from the 64 bit JVM from the 32 bit one since...
 First, all of the shipped apps by Apple for iOS7 are supposed to be 64 bit.  But the real beneficiary early on for 64 bit performance is probably the camera app and the related logic in the A7 chip for the image processor.  I'm still carrying a 3 year old iPhone 4 (soon to be upgraded to the 5s) and I've seen the cameras for my mother's 4s and my wife's 5.  Both are much better than mine but the burst mode stuff for the 5s camera that is looking at every image at 10 fps,...
Updated so far:   Mid 2007 Macbook Pro Early 2008 Macbook "unibody" Early 2008 iMac 2013 Macbook Air "Haswell"   No problems so far.  My wife reports the MBA updated very quickly.  The older machines took several minutes. :(
  Of course, some of us are old enough to remember Sherlock doing this in the OS 9 days. :)
I just looked at the new apps.  First, the Disney apps are nice and I'm sure my daughter will appreciate them.  But they do not make available all episodes for a given show.  I notice that my daughter's favorite show "Jessie" only has a handful of all of the available content, versus Netflix which has all the back episodes.  Second, it's nice to be able to get a live feed of the real Disney channel (or Disney XD) as an option to watch.  I'm sure we'll see more of this...
  It's hard to completely discern the actions of the Microsoft Board of Directors based upon the press release.  Yes Bill Gates still effectively controls Microsoft through his stock and board position, but Ballmer's own stake in Microsoft isn't tiny...it's pretty enormous too.  Did the board think it was time for new blood?  Maybe.  Did Ballmer think after all these years with the company that it was time to slow down?  Maybe.   The biggest surprise in all this is that a...
Let's be serious for a moment.  Yes, Microsoft in the last dozen years has made a pile of money.  A big pile of money.  And Ballmer has been there from the early days of the company as he reminds everyone when they just had 30 employees.  His involvement in the company has enriched his own personal fortune to well over $20 billion, making him one of the richest men in the world.  Most of us would kill for that kind of success.   But history will not be kind for his...
Microsoft's attempt at retransformation has been interesting to watch.  I was traveling on business this week and stopped at the Stanford Mall, a trendy outdoor mall in Menlo Park, CA.  There is a Microsoft Store there, the first I'd ever seen in person.  It was a good sized store with big glass windows.  Inside were a layout completely reminiscent of an Apple store....study light colored wood tables, attractive displays and lots and lots of Surface products on display,...