or Connect

Posts by Sevenfeet

My household has a video library of about 600 titles residing on a Drobo attached to a Mac Mini (2009).  I must not be living right. :-(
  Could be one of two reasons.  The first is that despite the fact that 802.11ac chips were available at the launch of the Ivy Bridge MacBooks doesn't mean that Apple could get them in the quantity that they would have needed to do a product launch.  Apple sells about 4 million Macs per quarter and 3/4s of them are MacBooks.  Since the entire Macbook Air/Pro line refreshed at the same time you'd need 3 million+ chips in order to keep Apple's supply chain happy and that...
  I'd say that if you want to get the most clear picture, you have to read both Groklaw and Foss Patents.  Both have their biases (Groklaw is Pro-Google, Foss Patents is Pro Apple/Microsoft/Oracle) but together you get a pretty decent picture.
  Apple Maps is hardly hugely inferior.  It's not completely up to snuff yet but its enough for most applications.  And Bing still is not the search engine of choice.   Apple is a publicly traded company that is widely watched.  It's not in their best interest for "crazy vendettas".  It is in their best to control their own destiny as much as possible.  There are many reasons why that was necessary with mapping.
Apple and Google may have lots of problems in their relationship, but neither of them are stupid and both are continuing to act like grownups (mostly).  I'm sure the discussions about YouTube have been going on for some time and it was likely's Apple's choice to go with the "have Google make their own YouTube app" solution.  Google probably doesn't mind this at all since they get YouTube's logo on the app (finally) and they get to control revenue on the app in terms of...
I was wondering if there was going to be a change with the Youtube app and now it looks like there will be.  The original contract was likely exactly five years which I'm sure there was much debate at Apple as to renew the deal.  The deal had some things I that I'm sure both parties didn't care for.  For example:   1.  Youtube got first screen placement.  That was just fine in 2007 but Apple and Google just aren't friends any more and are barely frenemies.   2....
Maybe so, but the fact remains that up until recently, the only way to get Firewire out of Thunderbolt was to buy a $999 external monitor.  $29 is affordable by everyone and paves the way for the day when Firewire is dropped from all Macs (which may happen sooner than we think...we haven't seen the Ivy Bridge iMacs and Mac Minis yet).
I'm sure the Apple gig was great but Papermaster upgraded him from a director level position to Group VP (essentially a two level upgrade) with a lot more control of what he does.  Of course, he has to work for AMD, which is a problem.  They need all the help they can get right now.
What's a miss for Apple is killer numbers for just about anybody else.  It's amazing how spoiled everyone has come.   Still, we're so used to Apple putting up video game-like statistics that we now have inevitable Monday Morning Quarterbacking about just what went wrong.  In a nutshell:   1.  It's the summer!  Everyone knows a new iPhone debuts in 60-70 days from now.  We used to see this same slackoff in the spring in the "old days" of three years ago.  Apple...
This is an interesting, if desperate legal theory.  If I'm Apple's legal team, I'm framing this letter to the Senate in their offices and trotting it out for any further legal jousting with Google.  Some people have said that in order for Google to enjoy iPhone patents, they will need to cede something important like their search patents.  It's more than that....they'd have to hand over Adsense and a bunch of other related IP.  And even all of that is still smaller than...