or Connect

Posts by Sevenfeet

My wife's Santa Rosa MBP will be nearly 5 years old and it was introduced almost to the week that Mountain Lion will come out.  That machine can run Mountain Lion.  My two year old original iPad cannot run iOS 6.  Apple can be strange sometimes...
One of the other things likely attractive to Reliant is the Nest's ability to interface with the Zigbee standard for smart energy monitoring.  That means smart thermostats and smart meters measuring energy usage at homes and businesses.  This will allow Reliant to better model energy consumption trends and better anticipate problems going forward.  And better technology will help all of us use less of that energy overall.  Nest is certainly not the only Zigbee capable...
The Nest isn't that aggressive in terms of the auto-away feature. Usually it's an average of two hours before it turns the house off. But it really depends on your observed habits. Nest published a white paper last year when the came to market based on their research of potential customer habits. They summized that there were two basic kinds of users...the ones who went to work and left the house for long periods of times, and the ones who work from home. One of the...
It depends on the outcome. I have two Nests handling the upstairs and downstairs zones of the house. At the rate I'm calculating our monthly energy savings, the two units will pay for themselves easily in 14 months of use and it might happen in 12. This is ahead of the 18 months I originally calculated when we bought them.
  How old is your Airport?  Only the most recent ones do real routing.  All the older models get by with 6to4 tunneling.
Cadillac is already rolling out their CUE touch infotainment system on their XTS (launching now) and the ATS (launching in a couple of months).  CUE is heavily influenced by the iPad and Cadillac dealers are giving an iPad to all XTS buyers as a training tool.  Given the fact that CUE already has third party APIs for apps and has Nuance built in for speech recognition, I'm sure it won't be too much trouble for Apple and GM to get together on this.
  I think you've hit the nail on the head.   Apple has different priorities than the rest of the computer and consumer electronics industries and while Apple is the one being copied a lot these days, most companies still don't do everything Apple's way.  First, I'm not surprised that we saw Macs that didn't get upgraded right now.  I can't remember a time that Apple turned over the entire Mac product line at once.  The fact that they turned over the entire Macbook line at...
  USB 3.0 up until Ivy Bridge required a separate controller which raised the price of any computer it was implemented in.  Since Apple had already made a commitment to including Thunderbolt (which probably wasn't cheap to implement), I suspect that USB 3.0 took a back seat to that feature need.  I'm also sure that Apple wanted Thunderbolt to get a decent headstart without having to compete with USB 3.0.  In some ways it mirrors Apple's moves back in the last 90's....
I threw my back out recently lugging it around.  It is NOT light.
Ok, now you're going to make me to back to my model and I'm on a flight that's boarding now and all my data is at home. I'll see what I can do when I get home.As for the natural gas prices, I just went off what was printed on the bill. It's possible it could be wrong but again, I'll have to go back and check.Finally, I'm not saying that a Nest is going to outperform significantly a well programmed thermostat from a competitor. The whole point of the Nest was actually...