or Connect

Posts by PG4G

The intent of the court was for Apple to be forced to say "Samsung did not copy us" which is clearly a lie, and that very court, and anyone who looks at this case, knows it.   Its a disgusting and pathetic attempt from a judge who in his own words acknowledges the copying, however doesn't consider it enough to award judgement to them.   I'm pretty sure Apple will just pay any fine out rather than lie and bag themselves out, but I'd be quite certain Apple's lawyers went...
The issues with the maps app have nothing to do with the App itself, overlord. Its the fact that the data that it downloads isn't a completely accurate, and completely foolproof mapping solution. That is downloaded, and Apple won't discriminate over devices: the data it uses for the new OS should be the same data they use for iOS 6, for all time.   Has Apple made a sub-par mapping solution? Yes. Could that be avoided? Doubtful. Maps of the entire world are extremely,...
Considering how few of you actually live in Australia, or understand the current situation, its interesting to see you all jump on the "there must be a reason" and "if you don't like it, don't buy it" bandwagon.   Apple is not being targeted, and that's essential to realise, no matter how AppleInsider wants to twist facts to create sensationalist arguments. This is about content pricing in general, including digital downloads.   Most IT retail in Australia is...
If Microsoft end up with undifferentiated PC OEMS, the prices drop as the OEMs have nothing to differentiate their product except price. And that pushes more computers, and thus more Windows copies, out into the market. The lower the prices drop due to a lack of differentiation, the better it is for microsoft. It turns a PC into a commoditized piece of hardware where no one is really making any money except the one company that won't budge on its prices: Microsoft....
Oh I love this quote!
The real issue here is simple: If this dissolves into a patent war and Samsung etc lose, there will be less actual "iPhone-like" phones on the market. With less iPhone-like phones, the prices on the devices won't have as much pressure to drop. For the phone companies, the lower the price on the handset, the lower the "buy-in" price, and the better it works for them. It is a similar world in the PC business currently. All the OEMs are designing essentially identical items...
Rather, it suggests Apple make phones that people think are worthy of such a mark-up in price, because of quality. Android phones, however, aren't considered to have such quality, and so people won't pay as much for them. They will barely pay cost price. Considering the market share for Android, it's pathetic that they can't even hold Apple at 50%. This isn't about overcharging, it's about quality of product and the value of an iPhone to each person.
In other words: Intel believes the best direction for the laptop market to pursue is to copy the MacBook Air. If you look at that mock-up, its a full-blown copy.
Windows on ARM would require "universal binaries" (or something equivalent for the PC world) to work correctly between the platforms, I'd expect. That would mean that anything that wanted to run on these devices would need to recompile everything anyway - for Windows 8 specifically. The applications that require "backwards compatibility" in the OS won't be in the current development cycle anyway. They'd need to be recompiled anyway to actually run on the ARM CPU. While...
To be honest, I'd say I tend to agree more with Apple's approach to the Mac developer community. Their approach has been basically: "Here is what you can see of Mac OS X - we won't tell you it all, nor give you all the control you want, but we will give you what you need to get the job done." This competes with Microsoft, who give away everything to their developer community, and are slaves to it. Microsoft are very much a group of developers. They empathise with their...