or Connect

Posts by enzos

A bit of context. Unis in Oz were dominated by Macs until about 1997 then turned to the dark side at Admin/ITS insistence. But Macs never faded completely (esp in the hard Sciences) and since about 2007 Macs have been steadily regaining their dominance (including Admin!) There's iMacs everywhere and, visibly, over half of laptop-toting students own MBPs. So giving the students iPads makes even better sense than it would in places still stuck in the horrors of Wintel land. 
Said this here at the time of Maps' release. The town & city street maps are from TomTom data.. so no probs. But the road and rural town data are way out; I don't know WTF they've done there! It's not just Victoria, *most* towns in Australia are location-pinned over 30 kms from their true location. I sent in a few corrections (e.g. my home town) via Maps feedback but gave up when I realised they were ALL wrong! And it would have been so easy to get right before release,...
inside and out, and altogether
Another masterpiece from Sir Jony!
UK? Whatever! Join the crew! Dual citizenship is the way to go if you've got the required immigration 'points'.    Enz in Brisbane
Let's see: Apple's paying 1.9% on revenue in company tax and ATO calculates they should have paid 2.5%.. "not that big of a deal" (as SJ would have said) in the bigger picture. The Oz gov gets a lot of money from the 10% GST (value-added tax included in the ticket price), but which is refunded if you carry the device overseas within a month of purchase (so if it's a 3k purchase, you effectively get $300 off the price of your travel ticket. Wonderbar!)
Where did you get that network screen-shot, Dan!? Mine looked the same except "UNE" in place of "Monash" (the largest uni in Oz). Sys 7.6.2 (&c) was a good one: clean interface, small size, super easy to use, and to Appletalk network.. (just the occasional Extension conflict). It was then that the ITS/Admin crowd started insisting Mac-loving science departments go Windows. (Ours stayed the course, thank heaven!)
(Probably the same as Win7; nothing more, possibly less.)   I reluctantly use Fusion now and then to access a couple of specialty programs no longer supported (since Tiger) on the Mac. Fast enough, works fine and causes no problems, so I see no conceivable reason to try Parallels. Other people might though (?)
Horace is by far the most intelligent and 'scientific' commenter on Apple matters. And if you read the Asymco blogs you'll find he knows how to clarify and defend his positions. His footnote to the relevant paragraph: "What follows is strictly hypothetical and based only on pieces of evidence that have become public hinting at an explanation but there is no proof."
@ Ireland : Likewise, but it's not sarcasm, it's irony. Sarcasm is easy to detect, irony can be missed (esp. by Americans, who tend to take things on face value).  -- "Irony must not be confused with sarcasm, which is direct: sarcasm means precisely what it says, but in a sharp, caustic, ... manner." (Partridge, Eric (1969). Usage and Abusage: A Guide to Good English.)