or Connect

Posts by Dlux

Well, ok, I was referring to the overall housing and assembly, which is a major revision. Often times the products simply receive a bumped processor or minor internal revision, which doesn't impact the manufacturing as much.Obviously the changes for this version of the iMac were significant enough to even delay it's release this far past the announcement date (regardless of whether the rumor of further delays is true). Otherwise it would have been in the stores already.
The new machines look nice, but they are sort of a 1.0 revision of this form factor. Also, for my use, the lack of an optical drive and Firewire are a big minus. The day they were announced I instead bought a refurb 2011 27" iMac with 256GB SSD (saving $600 from the previous price) and it's a pretty good deal. The only updated feature I'm missing is USB-3, but I can work around that. (I almost always buy refurbed for a number of reasons; 1) the price is reasonable, 2)...
See the right-hand date in the "iWork" graphic, under the "W"? That was when the latest version of iWork was introduced. In January. We're coming up on this thing being four years old on the Mac, and yet that isn't mentioned anywhere. What the hell is Apple doing with this software? Edit: Beaten by photoeditor.
I'd like to see a comparison between phone-based navigation and a dedicated GPS like the latest Garmins.
  That's what this article says as well:   http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/09/12/if-you-want-global-lte-roaming-choose-verizon-sprint-iphone-5-models/   Note the echo-chamber effect, though. This guy also thinks there are three separate models, based on his reading of The Verge's article stating the same thing. Understandably this is confusing, but I think all the writers should look a little deeper to get to the bottom of this.
  I think they're the same phone, only split out on the chart to show different global functionality. I think there are only two models, but the US-centric nature of that page makes it appear like there are three.   Here's the page in one piece:   http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/   Note that the A1429 listed as 'CDMA' includes all the bands listed just underneath as the A1428 'GSM' . It's a marketing distinction, not a technical one.
  Well, I was referring to paint on the outside. You might be correct on that one but if so it's on the inside of the glass. This report talks about masking the outside (including the connector ports), which, to me, sounds like someone speculating on how things are done based on their own non-production experiences.   The first thing an (exterior) painted iPhone would do when you slide it into a pocket with other objects is get scratched, and that simply isn't the way...
  1. No iPhone to date has had any paint on it at all. Apple would use a different surface treatment for durability.   2. Using masking tape as applied by humans leads to quality-control problems. One slight ripple and the paint gets underneath. Also, removing the tape can leave an 'edge' to the paint. Not a big deal on something as large as car, but bad for handheld consumer devices.   3. Even if tape were called for (and I still say it wouldn't), a production line would...
That sounds fake to me. That's how a backyard hobbyist would make a part, not a precision production line.I question this guy's veracity.
  Back in 2008 the Mac Business Unit took in $350 million dollars. I recall that it's closer to half a billion now, but can't find the source. Microsoft continues to be the largest developer of OSX software outside of Apple itself.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_Business_Unit