or Connect

Posts by Dlux

Argh. What's with all the x.99 pricing?!? This is a highly-structured ecosystem where products have to compete on their merits, not pricing gimmicks. Set prices in even dollar (for US) amounts! Also, the 2GB file sizes will actually push the limits of a country-wide GPS data set, if you want to store all the map data locally. The annual updates from Garmin, for example, ship on DVDs because of the file size. (You need everything resident on the GPS device if you expect...
No mention of Flash at all? Boo hoo.
It's not something that I want, but it's something that most of us need, unfortunately. I'm hoping that H.264/AAC ultimately win the media format wars and that WMV becomes marginalized (fat chance), but in the meantime there are still plenty of web sites that only support WMV. (The same goes for REAL, although that's all but extinct, and, regrettably Flash for video.) My desire is to see an improved Quicktime player that can play anything. And yes, we've all heard about...
I'm hoping that QT will support more media formats natively, especially WMV without a plug-in. Not that I like those other formats, but having to juggle 3rd-party shims and incompatibilities after various upgrades gets a little old. Perian is a great effort, but ultimately it should be rendered unnecessary if Apple picked up the ball. (To hell with Exchange support - work on WMV so we can see the rest of the media files floating around.)
I don't know the specific nature of the data packets getting sent and received for mobile devices, but if it is true TCP/IP-based then the routing for such a scenario could be a nightmare. Asymmetric connections (across different network links) can run into all sorts of trouble with packet acknowledgments, etc.
No, REAL exploring is done in the basement with a keyboard. WTF - do you prejudge everyone like this?
Last year during the run-up to the iPhone I wanted to get a GPS device for navigation. I also liked the principal of One Device To Rule Them All. When it was determined that the V1.0 iPhone didn't have GPS hardware, we bought a Garmin instead. In retrospect, this was a good decision (for us) for a number of reasons: 1) While the interface is nowhere as elegant as anything the iPhone would support, the Garmin (or any other dedicated navigation device) currently provides...
It doesn't sound like you explore much. Try traveling the back roads in western US (for example) away from metropolitan areas. Even with a Delorme map it's possible to get lost in the middle of nowhere, and these days its cheaper to get a GPS fix than spend the gas on back-tracking.
Assuming the power savings were meaningful, this makes a lot of sense. If such selective component activation were indeed possible, it should then be entirely automated. Any phone with GPS should know where it is, and thus also know which bands were active/required in the vicinity. (The exception would be a cold boot, or any time the signal is lost, in which case the handset would activate enough radio hardware to get a fix, and then tune itself down to the appropriate...
One thing that occurred to me with Netflix' current pricing is the watch-now service isn't scalable. Where does the money come from to pay for Netflix' bandwidth (and let's not even get into HD bandwidth requirements). It's easy to imagine people queuing up a solid week's worth of material and letting it run around the clock if they have the pipes at home. I'm all for cheap media-streaming services, but is this really sustainable for Netflix if this takes off? I foresee...