or Connect

Posts by Mac-sochist

He apparently gets paid double for telling the same lies in two different threads. So according to him, this is just hogwash:
Do you get paid double for telling the same lies in two different threads?
Seriously—it's frightening to think these animals are out in public, wandering around without a keeper. I honestly think most of them are mentally disturbed.The thing is, 20 years or so ago, all the misfits and proud-to-be-outsiders like this were rabid Apple fans! (Maybe some of the same people? Though it's hard to believe that adults could act this way.) It's like Apple has committed the most horrendous sin in the calendar by becoming successful and no longer being the...
As I said, 750/1080 is 25/36. Worse yet, 1334/1920 is .694791666... IOW, not a single pixel that you bought and paid for will be displayed as is. Now I'd love to be proven wrong, and discover that Apple has some miraculous, and mathematics-violating, GPU or algorithm that will make this OK, but I've seen too many pretty expensive TVs that did a lousy job even of scaling 480 to 1080, and that's only 9/4. And I still remember the 12 or 24 prominent stripes across the screen...
What I can't understand about the iPhone 6 (as opposed to the 6+) is this bizarre, oddball screen resolution. 1334 x 750? WTF? 1280 x 720 would have been much better. Nobody would be able to tell the difference with the UI and apps and web-browsing, but a lot of people watch videos on their phones. What you want are small denominators. A 720-line screen would show a 480p video blown up 3/2, 720p 1/1 of course, and 1080p at 2/3. Ideal. 750/480 = 25/16. 750/720 = 25/24....
I didn't know what to expect—most of the commentary beforehand seemed to be leaning towards some medical device for invalids and senior citizens, which I thought would destroy Apple's cachet with their core demographic. I still think that. But now I'm blown away by the thought that's gone into this device. Just the tiny fraction of the functions that were demonstrated make it a totally new category compared with the lame-ass "smart" watches that have come out so far. And...
Well, apparently I was wrong about the camera. There appears to be a trim ring around the lens cover that stands out an infinitesimal amount from the surface—to keep the (sapphire?) from scraping, i guess. But I was certainly less wrong than those Russian and Chinese gomers who jammed the guts of a 5s into cobbled-together imitation iP6 cases. The 5s camera wouldn't fit, so they had it sticking way out from the back. Ludicrous on the face of it.
Is that what's wrong with the site? I went over there to see if they had pictures of the new iPhones and the top third of the screen is something invisible that the text disappears behind as you scroll down. Have to use your scroll wheel exclusively, using Page Down you lose the first half of your next bite of text. Really annoying.
It must be nice to not have to know the exact time, like many of you claim you don't. Well, I don't...now, but I spent many years taking the bus to work. I'd ride one downtown and then walk around the corner to catch an outbound bus, which was always on time because this was its second stop. If my inbound route was on time too, great. Sometimes we'd really run behind though, and if we were more than 5 or 6 minutes behind, I could jump out at one point and run a block over...
Where do you get this crap? The "media frenzy" is happening. Apple couldn't prevent it if they tried. There's no "behind the scenes". If Apple tried to "work it up" like everybody else does, it wouldn't exist.