or Connect

Posts by Mac-sochist

Relic has been earning her pay pretty well for a while now, but she's dropping the ball lately. For a purported expert on all the tech that's better than Apple, (which is all of it) and what's wrong with every Apple product, (everything) to say she "wouldn't mind" if the iPhone went to a 16:9 aspect ratio, but 4:3 like they are now is better—well...that's just sloppy. That's up there with "I've owned seven of every Mac model since 78 B.C., but damn it, when is Apple going...
One factor that has to be taken into account is appearance. It may be superficial, and function should be all that matters, but especially when people are paying ~$600 a pound for some item, they expect a certain minimum standard of attractiveness.The Surface is just butt-ugly. Now this isn't always a deal-breaker; a lot of ugly products have been quite popular. After some acclimatization, they may even be called "endearingly ugly". There's no chance of that kind of...
If you believe they made that much profit selling the big-screened top 10 or 20% of their phone line, giving a lot of them away buy-one-get-one-free from introduction day, you're delusional.
As TheOtherGeoff pointed out in post 19, Apple could, technically, offer voice service over VOIP at any time—the only holdup would be not wanting to anger the carriers or possibly non-compete clauses (which will expire sometime). What if the 5.5" device was just that—not an iPhone, but an ApplePhone? That is to say, an iPod Touch, but one that can make WiFi calls naturally, without jumping through hoops. It would probably offer an escape mode when you don't have WiFi,...
^^^ None of that means I think the iPhone will have a sapphire display anytime soon, if ever.
I will respect Andysol's request and not quote the idiot upstairs, but I have to say again that this stuff about a display not being sapphire because it was scratched by sandpaper is totally ridiculous. First, sharp grains of any material will handily scratch a smooth surface of the same hardness. Secondly, sandpaper is carborundum (silicon carbide), which is up to 9.5 on the Mohs scale. Alumina ("Sapphire"—still can't understand how they can legally call it that) is 9....
What you have to remember is that Fandroids and Microsofties have a different meaning for the words "true" and "untrue" than normal human beings do. You saw this in the reactions to the "I'm a Mac; I'm a PC" commercials. They would come on forums like this foaming at the mouth about the "lies" in the commercials—come to find out, "lie" didn't mean "false statement" (or even Winston Churchill's "terminological inexactitude") it just meant: "Pointing out that fact hurt my...
I don't personally believe that the iPhone will have a "sapphire" display—not this year at least. However: that panel being scratched by sandpaper is by no means proof that it's not. It's quite possible for sharp grains of material to scratch smooth surfaces of the same hardness. The Carborundum (silicon carbide) on the sandpaper could quite handily scratch the "sapphire" (aluminum oxide) of a flat panel like that. Carborundum is 9-9.5 on the Mohs scale, alumina is...
Are all camera sensors still 60% as high as they are wide—i.e., 1 2/3:1? That's how they always used to be, even though the pictures from most cameras were 4:3. That means that 25% of the pixels on the sensor went unused—but they were included in the specs: so the actual value was 80% of the rated value.This may have changed in recent years, I don't know.
I have to sign my name on the terminal at the prescription counter at Rite-Aid. It is absolutely impossible to write with your hand in midair like that and without the normal friction from paper. Anybody who thinks they're going to take notes that way is fooling themselves. They could never read what they wrote anyway. My signature could just as well be Chinese calligraphy—in the "grass style".