or Connect

Posts by Mac-sochist

So the famous "promotion" is finally here. I can't wait! Are they going to drop iPads out of helicopters over shopping malls all across the country? "As God is my witness, I thought iPads could fly!"
In a situation like this, the appearance of integrity is almost more important than the real thing. The whole thing sticks in a lot of peoples' craw, and that's all the proof we need that Schmidt should have left Apple's board sooner. Just as a thought experiment, suppose the situation was reversed—Steve Jobs was on Google's board all the time they were working on preliminary designs for the gPhone. Apple had been working on some chiclet-keyed monstrosity, but then lo and...
So when I used to see Blackberries I imagined some guys sitting around a table and saying: "Let's see if we can make these little buttons any smaller—and think up an even goofier pattern to put them in". It turns out these were the guys? And now they're going to take on tablets? That should go well....
It's easy to make fun of his old predictions—I've been doing it—but you've got to give the guy credit for being able to change his mind. A lot of people in this arena will stick to an ideology no matter how idiotically wrong it turns out to be—I think we all know who I'm talking about. As for why we should believe his predictions this time around—we shouldn't. His old predictions were so spectacularly wrong, though, that his new predictions just have to be closer to the...
Give him another few years, maybe he'll predict the downfall of the "Eastern Bloc"—you know, the Eastern Bloc that dissolved in 1989? Seriously, who's predicting that Apple will wind up with 10 or 15 percent of the tablet market? Who's coming from behind, over a year late already, and grabbing 85 or 90%? Oh, yeah, I know, Android....
This is a good suggestion, but I just can't see Apple putting out one device that would run both iOS and OS X on the same screen. It would wind up being neither fish nor fowl—OS X on too small a screen with no pointing method or iOS on a too-big and clumsy touch screen, or somehow making you choose which you want at any given moment? Very un-Apple-like.What I would like to see them do is in line with the rumors from a couple of years ago. The trackpads on Mac notebooks are...
I would agree agree with everything you said (WP 7 does looks a lot slicker than any of the also-rans) except.... Microsoft has a long, unbroken history of having their software write checks that no existing hardware can cash, and just expecting the manufacturers to deal with it ("Engines are for servants and menials.") Those home screen tiles, for example, look like Cover Flow times 12, or whatever it is. I wonder if Microsoft has learned their lesson from the "Vista...
So I assume from what you say here that you also vigilantly patrol the Android fansites (again, assuming they exist) and put them in their place when they unfairly criticize iOS? Hmmm? I think we all know the answer to that. In your mind, no criticism of Android is justified, but any criticism of iOS is. Just so we're clear, I don't even like iOS. I just like Android even less, because it's an extremely clumsy, tone-deaf copy of iOS. The first Mac I ever really tried was a...
IMO, OS X peaked aesthetically with Panther and Tiger. It's been getting progressively drabber and dingier ever since. That's just my preference, though—I'm sure they're losing sleep over what I think. Functionally, I don't like the idea of the scroll bars being hidden. This from a guy who has his dock hidden on the right! I'm nothing if not inconsistent.
Those of you who are so hot for LTE haven't read the reviews of the HTC Thunderbolt, for example—it's battery life is abysmal. LTE radios use too much power now for Apple to even consider using them, plus the vast majority of people have no access to LTE and won't for some time to come. I wonder if all these reports don't represent a confusion. The iPhone 5 will debut around the usual time, but it will be much like the iPhone 4. The focus this year is on the software—iOS5...