or Connect

Posts by Mac-sochist

I waited to see what the new MacBooks were like before deciding on a new laptop. I'm going to wait until this time next year to buy one of the new "bricks." Not because of the lack of Firewire, but because of the lack of USB3, which we know darn well is coming, the imminent arrival of Intel's Nehalem architecture, which is supposed to leave their current chips in the dust, and the imminent arrival of Snow Leopard, which I don't want to have to turn right around and buy...
Wow! I'm glad I came to this thread late, after the lunatic was banned. Seriously, some basic arithmetic skills might help. Possibly this technique is a little more expensive and time-consuming, maybe it will reduce Apple's margins a little (as we were all warned about weeks ago) but it's only one part! Even if the new frame costs $50 where a stamped frame would cost 50 cents, that's a very small proportion of the cost of a $1300 laptop. If you stamp several pieces out...
OK--Periodically someone will say something like: "please, no more car analogies." I think there are two reasons for this, one illegitimate: because they don't help their side, and one legitimate: because they fail to capture the difference between hardware and software. Follow me with a little thought experiment: suppose the US auto industry hadn't self-destructed in the 60s and 70s and had survived into the modern era where cars are controlled by numerous computer...
It's a little better on the Mac, because you can almost always force-quit Safari alone when (not if, when) it makes it crash. I don't understand why all the people complaining about Mobile Safari crashing all the time would want something that will make it much worse. (On the Mac, it's customary to blame Safari for incompatibility with Flash, but Firefox screws up just as bad. However, if you have infinite patience and can wait, wait, wait for the beachball to stop...
Jeebus McRee--could there be a more unsuitable figurehead for a tech company in this day and age? I cringe every time I see this pithecoid buffoon going into one of his tirades. (It's painful for me to say, because except for the fact that I've still got all my hair, I resemble him more than a little.) Instead of paying Jerry Seinfeld 10 megabucks to change their image, I think they need to hire a front man who won't frighten little children! Ballmer could still run the...
I was going to post this in the thread after the first Seinfeld/Gates ad, but now after all this jerking around and kicking here and there and pointing in first one direction and then another, it's much more appropriate now: Sweet, Fancy Moses!!!
I really don't get the controversy over 1080i vs. 1080p. Interlaced scan was adopted in 1939 because if they scanned the screen once in 1/30 of a second (or worse yet 1/24) they had to use a phosphor with such long "linger" that thrown baseballs looked like comets, for example. So, they scanned the screen 60 times per second, odd lines then even, so they could use faster-decaying phosphors. The advantage of interlacing is relevant only to CRTs. With LCDs and other modern...
Read the update in this article from MacWorld. Apparently this is a bug in iTunes 8 and they offer a work-around. It's about halfway down the page.
A: Since you either don't understand the difference between "up-front price" and "total cost of ownership" or think we don't. B: Since you apparently expect Apple to be the only one advertising TCOS while everyone else quotes prices such as "FREE!!!" C: Since you did use "price" and "cost" interchangeably in the same sentence. Thanks for the comparison to my late, lamented hero, though! Hopefully I can get you mad enough to call me George Carlin. That would make my day!
Thanks for the expert IQ evaluation. As I have said in a couple of posts that you apparently didn't bother to read: earbuds, in-ear earphones; You say po-tay-to, I say po-tah-to, whatever you CALL them, they won't go in or stay in my ears.