or Connect

Posts by Mac-sochist

There's no use arguing economics with a guy who doesn't know the difference between "cost" and "price" and in fact uses them interchangeably in the same sentence.
The iPhone uses assisted GPS: instead of waiting for the satellites to spoonfeed you your ephemeris data at 50 bps, it pulls the info in off the internet at 3G (or at least EDGE) speeds. An iPod Touch with GPS would take forever to get a reading. (Unless, of course, you're in a WiFi hotspot and online at the time.)
I use the terms interchangeably. In any case, neither one will go in, or stay in, my ears. Does anybody make a spring hoop like regular headphones have, to go over your head and keep these things in your ears? I hate to go out walking or exercise and sweat up my good Sony over-the-ear phones.(Or would that look like some blue-haired matron with chains on her rhinestone glasses?)
The "shake/shuffle" gag is kind of cute....; but didn't anybody but me flash on the "Third Rock from the Sun" where they went into a computer store, and Dick picks up a laptop and says:" Oh, yes...I have something similar to this at home," and shakes it like an Etch-a-Sketch to try to clear the screen?
Still just earbuds, huh? Am I the only one whose ears won't hold earbuds? I might as well apply them to my cheeks and expect them to stay there.
Sorry, I got Audio mixed up with Stereophile, which is a little too far towards the lunatic fringe of the audiophile spectrum for me.Not at all, a singularity in any mathematical function (like the characteristic curve of an amplifier) can produce totally unexpected results. That's why they don't let you divide by zero.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on a lot of this, but this has been a very interesting discussion.I think noise is very much a part of the natural environment, and unless you live in an anechoic chamber, any sound is going to vibrate other objects in the environment and create harmonics. So, yes, I think our hearing has evolved to allow for this and to some extent tune it out.Yeah, my Williamson-circuit monoblocs I built 35 years ago sound more musical and pleasant...
This section of John Watkinson's book "The Art of Sound Reproduction" seems to disagree with this and shows how anharmonic distortion can arise in low-level sound in digital recording, too. You learn something new every day!Thanks for pointing that out. I know there's nothing inherently wrong with push-pull amps, but I had forgotten the flaw in the first solid-state audio amplifiers.Here's an article dealing with how anharmonic distortion arises when an amp is challenged...
The problem isn't dynamic range per se, it's digitization error when only a small part of that range is being used. Vinyl, being analog, didn't have that problem. Of course, it had its own problems, and I think the aficionados who cling to analog as being somehow superior in this day and age are misguided; especially since every vinyl record was digitally mastered anyway. (Of course, that's on recorders with much greater than 16-bit resolution.) Artifacts and distortion...
I don't know, but it would be interesting to find out. What I worry about is that all this "optical media are dead" hoopla will turn into another one of these self-fulfilling prophecies. You have the techno-intelligentsia pushing it from one side, and the RIAA would like nothing better than to put the genie back in the bottle and slap DRM on everything.