or Connect

Posts by Mac-sochist

OK, fine, it's a fan site. I'm a fan, which doesn't mean I don't wish Apple would do some things differently. I'm really interested in the psychology of this, though. The simplest assumption is that you're a paid Google astroturfer, but if not.... Is somebody from over here going to some Android fansite you hang out at and pissing in your cornflakes? (I'm just assuming that such sites exist, I don't know.) I'm sure they're hotbeds of closely reasoned analysis if they do...
Yes, I'm sure all the people who took a free Android phone when they upgraded from their flip-phone will do just that—maybe Andy Rubin could tweet them to that effect? Seriously, if you don't see that the vast majority of phone customers are not the kind of propellerheads who are going to massage their OS to work with this or that app, I don't know what to tell you.
I know that's the Party Line™, but that doesn't make it any more true. Ask the potential Android developers who are staying away in droves, including Epic.EDIT: On second thought, I don't care whether it's true or not. Fine, let's believe you and say the OS is exactly the same across the board, with just "UI variations" from manufacturer to manufacturer. The UI is what people interact with. It's the make-or-break part of the user experience. Developers can develop separate...
Since you cannot understand that it's illegitimate to bundle dozens of incompatible phone OSs together as one single monolithic "Android" platform for purposes of comparison, we know for a fact it isn't you.
You agree with his premise and then go on to show you don't understand it. Besides, is it really necessary to explain something that probably isn't true to begin with? You're conflating "market share" with "installed base" for one thing. Android hasn't approached iOS's installed base yet. Secondly, you're lumping dozens of incompatible OSs together as "Android" (Yes, I know you can't see that, but, oh well....) while simultaneously failing to add all the non-iPhone iOS...
Very good analysis. Another mistake people make is seeing this sudden takeoff and thinking it's the beginning of an exponential expansion, when it's just the bottom of a sigmoid curve, and then are surprised when it approaches saturation and levels out. Has Android reached saturation? Who knows? I'm willing to bet they've taken a big bite out of the steep part of the curve this last year, though. Yes, there will always be some high-end Android phones in competition with...
ITunes is a good example. When they started, in order to reach even the minority of people who had "high speed" internet, they had to serve music at the ridiculous 128,000 bps rate that has now become standard. They have pretty well destroyed the CD market, and worse yet, they've conditioned a generation to look at anyone who still wants tolerable music as if they're one of those lunatics who put green magic marker on the edge of their CDs or buy $50,000 speaker...
I mean it will be decades—many decades—before a large enough majority of people have the kind of super-high-speed internet service to make their vision of a wireless world a reality. We don't all live on the Cupertino campus, you know. In the meantime, many, many people will be left out of this utopia.
You yourself admitted a while back that there were seven different versions of Android out there in the wild, and when you cross that with dozens of different manufacturers adding their proprietary crap on top of that, it's a madhouse. You can deny it all you want, but that's the situation. I question Apple all the time. For example, their pushing of download-only media and software access is decades premature.
The "PC" with CPU, keyboard and monitor has just been a 35-year diversion. Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle should have copyrighted the term "personal computer" that everybody had in The Mote in God's Eye. This concept seemed so outrageous in 1974, but they were recognizably iPads. Wireless access to all the information available in the world, everybody slapped their computer down on the conference table, it wirelessly synced with all the background information for the...