or Connect

Posts by Mac-sochist

Don't they have to send a big fat check to Microsoft whether they use the OS or not? And what OEM is going to brave the Wrath of Redmond™ by installing OS X on their machines?The point is, somebody (not necessarily you) bought a Mac in the first place with its first version of OS X. When you buy a shrink-wrapped box, it's an upgrade to install on that already paid-for machine. It doesn't matter if you skip a version, that's a red herring if I ever saw one. Retail copies of...
I don't think it's a conspiracy (well, in the case of Microsoft: yeah, I do) but it is an observed fact that the Mac versions of MS and Adobe's applications blow chunks. Whether that's deliberate, or because they can't be bothered to do any better on a platform that represents a very small portion of their sales is up for debate.
This is a really interesting idea. But how many more chips would it take to make every Mac a PC as well, so it could run Windows without virtualization? Of course, you'd want to keep the Windows partition thoroughly sandboxed. This wouldn't add all that much to the hardware cost, though, and it wouldn't make sense (or affect earnings that much) unless they were bundling a copy of Vista with it. If they were signing an OEM license to sell Windows, we'd know about it by now....
I'm just not feeling the iPods or Apple TV as representing "technologies" that others "can't match." Notice: not "products that are a jump ahead of the competition," but "technologies others can't match." Maybe it IS their much more complex multi-touch technology we've seen several patents for. If it weren't too soon (I was really expecting it with Snow Leopard) I'd trot out my pet theory (yeah, so? A lot of you have them, some crazier than mine) that PA Semi will design...
I must admit I'm in the mindless majority who doesn't read all that crap before I click on it; I'm not planning on doing anything seriously illegal, and if there's some curveball in there like: "not to be used on Thursday," oh well, I'm going to violate it. Call the software cops! Possibly in this forum, though, there must be someone who has inflicted the penance on themselves of actually reading the whole thing. Is there in fact a "separability clause" in there? Like when...
As I pointed out before, this IS exactly the situation in the PC world. My first Mac was an iMac bought from a second-hand computer store for $75, complete with a working copy of Panther. I could have bought a comparable PC for a similar price, but then I would have had to have bought a brand-new copy of Windows XP. Microsoft considers a Windows license non-transferrable, either to a different person or a different computer. I'm morally certain that it's illegal, but they...
This is Reaganism/Thatcherism. Fortunately, your country outgrew Thatcherism, whereas the Dark Forces™ who used Reagan as their sock puppet have had the last 28 years to run this country completely into the ground. With any luck, it'll be over soon.
And if you want to live in some Hobbsian "War of All Against All," survivalist-style, that's up to you. Many of us, however, believe that "Governments were instituted among men" to ameliorate this conflict, and by protecting the weak against the strong, provide a livable existence for as many as possible.
No, they think that if people are going to be looking at photos or viewing videos on the iPhone, that going to a color temperature closer to the NTSC standard of 6500 K will give more satisfactory results. They're absolutely right.
Your argument is the exact opposite of the truth. The fact that somebody bought a full-price copy of OS X when they bought an Apple computer is why Apple will let you sell that computer with the OS on it, transfer that copy to another used computer, sell or give away your copy of OS X, etc., etc.: just like a CD or a book. It's Microsoft's business model that makes criminals of anybody who wants to use a copy of Windows that they have bought and paid for on another...