or Connect

Posts by Mac-sochist

My bad! was talking about reading on my old g4 PowerBook. To tell you the truth, I didn't realize iOS didn't have anti-aliasing, because their dot pitch is so fine anyway. Seriously, the pixels on the 9.7" XGA iPad are unresolvable unless you hold it too close and look for them—and I'm over 4 powers farsighted, which means my glasses magnify everything quite a bit.
SolipsismX nailed it. The size is very specific: 7.85". At 163 dpi that's exactly 1024 x 768. Is it a coincidence that the iPad Mini is being introduced (if it is) just as the 3GS drops out of the bottom of the lineup and there's surplus capacity to make 163-dpi mother glass? No way—that's the screen of the iPad Mini.   At the distance you're going to hold it, it will be just fine for reading. I've read hundreds of books on a 15" screen with the same resolution, so...
As far as the iPhone's size goes, how much does anybody want to bet that the same people who were bitching about it being too big and stretching out your pocket in 2007, are the same ones now who are predicting its demise because it's not the size of a tombstone?
The sandpaper joke would be funny, but I don't see a 7.85" iPad as being contradictory to SJ's denigration of the 7" Android tablets he was talking about.   A 7" 16:9 screen is 3.43" wide, a 7.85" 4:3 screen is 4.71" wide—a difference of over 1 1/4 inches. That puts them in completely different categories, if you ask me. (Over 37% wider, in fact.)
Many years ago in Road & Track, a Major Upsett cartoon said it all. We're driving along a road right at the edge of the ocean. Approaching the top, we see a line of cars pulled up at the cliff. One has just driven off the edge and is halfway to the water. The Major turns and says to his passenger: "I see Consumer Reports is testing cars again."   They break new ground in the field of ignorance every time they evaluate any type of product that I know anything about--I...
Well, unless Google Maps has changed radically in the last year or so (I wouldn't know--I'm Degoogleizing my life as much as possible), I say good riddance. The satellite view was kind of a cool novelty (at first)--wow, that's the roof of my house!--but I got over it in a hurry. Street View doesn't tell you how to get anywhere--you're buried in the scene. The only thing you're going to consistently want to use it for is the maps--so how are the maps?   Short...
Crowdsourcing for corrections sounds like a good idea--if there weren't as many jerkwads in the world as there are. Unfortunately, the world is full of Fandroids, Googlesuckers and similar scum. What's to keep them from sending in "corrections" of streets and POIs that are completely wrong? I'll bet money that an organized campaign to do just that is starting up already.
  I see this crap so often I just have to respond to it even though this is a dead thread (and you're obviously a paid troll, complete with boilerplate "I own umpty-jillion Apple devices" from the supplied playbook.)     All the changes in Apple products for the last several years have been in pursuit of rigidity and solidity at all costs, and the devil take the hindmost. I would see the lists of problems that people were complaining about in their macs (well, laptops,...
  Maybe a fourth (and fifth?) antenna would help.
Aluminum is basically frozen electricity—about 20 KWh/kg, IIRC.