or Connect

Posts by Mac-sochist

What were the PC makers' "agendas?" Obviously to marginalize and eventually eliminate an interface too closely identified with Apple. Well, they succeeded! Why wasn't everybody all up in their faces then? If only some of this rage could have been harnessed when it could have done some good!
I think you've got the idea. There's no way in the world that they developed this new display just for use as a second display with laptops. Talk about a small niche market! I'll bet the new mini will be a 6" x 6" x 1" aluminum block, internally a MacBook with no display, keyboard, battery, or optical drive, and will plug right into the MagSafe connector on the new display. If it were me, I'd design it so that extra modules would plug into the top just like legos. Optical...
I have no opinion as to whether this is indicative of any product plans or not, but I would love to see the iPhone/iPod Touch, perhaps with slightly smaller dot pitch or a slightly larger screen, able to display Standard-Definition TV at 640 x 480. That would be a huge milestone. On the other subject, I was told in grade school (in the US, 40-50 years ago) that putting an extra s on the end of a possessive like that was completely illiterate. But--since everybody does...
At the risk of repeating myself from another thread: These Wall Street idiots have driven the economy into the biggest train wreck in history. Apple is one of the most successful companies ever, exceeding expectations quarter after quarter and year after year. Doesn't it seem slightly ridiculous that Apple should have to go hat in hand, begging for approval from these cannibal vampire parasites?
By the way, does anybody but me find it ridiculous that Apple, one of the most successful companies in the world, exceeding expectations quarter after quarter and year after year, have to go hat in hand to Wall Street, the guys who've driven the economy off a cliff, pleading: "did we do all right, huh, please say yes, pretty please!" Shouldn't it be the other way around? Of course, Apple must be doing something wrong, because the taxpayers don't have to cover their...
The new case is enormously more rigid, reducing the case flex that caused all the broken connections and circuit-board traces that's caused the decline in reliability Apple has been experiencing in recent years. Of course, everybody else's laptops have suffered the same problems, but nobody expects them to last more than a year or two, anyway. So yeah, people with that kind of mindset can't see increased reliability and longevity as a "value." That's what sets Apple apart.
I waited to see what the new MacBooks were like before deciding on a new laptop. I'm going to wait until this time next year to buy one of the new "bricks." Not because of the lack of Firewire, but because of the lack of USB3, which we know darn well is coming, the imminent arrival of Intel's Nehalem architecture, which is supposed to leave their current chips in the dust, and the imminent arrival of Snow Leopard, which I don't want to have to turn right around and buy...
Wow! I'm glad I came to this thread late, after the lunatic was banned. Seriously, some basic arithmetic skills might help. Possibly this technique is a little more expensive and time-consuming, maybe it will reduce Apple's margins a little (as we were all warned about weeks ago) but it's only one part! Even if the new frame costs $50 where a stamped frame would cost 50 cents, that's a very small proportion of the cost of a $1300 laptop. If you stamp several pieces out...
OK--Periodically someone will say something like: "please, no more car analogies." I think there are two reasons for this, one illegitimate: because they don't help their side, and one legitimate: because they fail to capture the difference between hardware and software. Follow me with a little thought experiment: suppose the US auto industry hadn't self-destructed in the 60s and 70s and had survived into the modern era where cars are controlled by numerous computer...
It's a little better on the Mac, because you can almost always force-quit Safari alone when (not if, when) it makes it crash. I don't understand why all the people complaining about Mobile Safari crashing all the time would want something that will make it much worse. (On the Mac, it's customary to blame Safari for incompatibility with Flash, but Firefox screws up just as bad. However, if you have infinite patience and can wait, wait, wait for the beachball to stop...