or Connect

Posts by Mac-sochist

I didn't mean to come off whiny, anyway. It's really no hardship using a laptop. I can have all pages view full-width, so I can read from several feet away, without the reading part of my bifocals—It's really kind of luxurious.Converting all of these things with something like Calibre—eek. That would take forever, if it worked at all. I've had bad luck with anything other than .epub to .mobi or vice-versa.I still have an old Kindle if I want to take a few things with me. I...
OK, let's change it to "I hadn't appreciated yet."And you're right about gaming. I didn't think about that because like George Costanza, the last video game I played was probably Frogger. Hi-Def 60 fps video, with Metal to make the best use of the GPU, coupled with the large screen, could revolutionize the handheld gaming experience.
Because I've downloaded over 10,000 items (not all book length) in four different formats—HTML, PDF, DjVu, and ePub, to the tune of 48 GB so far. I don't want to rename all my files to fit in a flat file and then page through 500 screens trying to find what I want.Actually, it's worse than that. In iOS, I'd have to remember what format something was in, call up that application (except no DjVu, I imagine), and then page through hundreds of screens—you can't just click on a...
People are right who say that the 6+ is not an iPad replacement. I really wanted an iPad, but could never justify it, because I'd want to use it as a reader, and the lack of a file structure makes that impossible, so I still need a laptop. Going to be very interested in this rumored 12" fanless, clickless MBA if it transpires. Calling the move from 3.5" to 4" a "size increase" is just wrong. It was an aspect ratio change. I always said it was a mistake because 16:9 is...
Isn't he the same guy that hacked Sheldon Cooper's Dungeons & Dragons account and stole all his stuff? If so, we know his address....
It's not a lie. A bunch of moronic Fandroids saying "Nuh-uh!" enough times doesn't negate anything. That was the origin of the huge-ass smartphone. Your 4-inch Android phone had longer battery life because it was a low-tier model that simply does a lot less than Samsung's throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks "premium" models.You really need to get back on your meds, because you are completely mental at the moment.
Benjamin Frost's fixation on the digital crown is laughable. I think this is the most brilliant part of the design. When Tim introduced it in the keynote, I heard an audible intake of breath from the audience, meaning "Of course! Why didn't anybody think of that before?" This is just one of the many signs that Apple is the only one to have put any real thought into what a "smartwatch" is—not just a pager for your cellphone.
Because Android is an extremely inefficient Java Virtual Machine, and always runs on inefficient power-hungry processors that need huge-ass batteries and have to have big screens to cover them. Where have you been for the last four years? Even at that, "premium" phones are a small part of the market—Samsung sells most of their phones in the much smaller categories. They push the big phones because that's the only segment that makes them any money.
As TS said, the huge-screen phone market is a tiny fraction of the total. Even Samsung, the poster child for this category, sells most of their phones in the smaller sizes. They want to sell their large-screened "premium" phones preferentially, because that's where all the profit is. So who buys these phones? There may be a few platform-agnostic knowledgeable buyers who simply want a huge screen. I think this is a vanishingly small proportion. Most people who buy them...
If I could find my previous post on this subject, I'd just link to it: On every subject that I know something about, Consumer Reports has over the years revealed themselves as a bottomless well of ignorance. I actually gave up on them 37 years ago, when they rated the Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon "unacceptable" because if you're barreling down the road at 50 mph with your hands off the wheel, then reach out, jerk it 90 degrees, and then let go, they would "oscillate and...