or Connect

Posts by Mac-sochist

I heard an audible intake of breath among the audience when Tim introduced the crown. I interpreted that as: "Holy Shit! Why didn't anybody else think of that? It's so obvious!" Of course now the iHaters will be going: "Apple claims they invented the watch crown! LOL!"
I gave up on Consumer Reports 37 years ago, when they rated the new Dodge Omni / Plymouth Horizon "Unacceptable" because if you were barreling down the road at 50 mph with your hands off the wheel, then grabbed the wheel and jerked it 90 degrees and let go, the car would "oscillate and eventually run off the road". Seriously, this was their idea of a test!Not long before that, they rated the TV that was the best by their own criteria "Unacceptable" because the knobs were...
Couldn't agree less. He's a pretentious, condescending pissant, who I would bet any amount of money doesn't know 1% as much as he'd like you to think he does.This crap about accusing everybody but him of "not knowing how RAM is used", really pisses me off. Apparently he, the great expert, is not aware of how RAM works. Kind a a remarkable lapse of knowledge for the Great Guru!Hey, Wiz! RAM is absolutely the only thing in your phone that you can't turn off. It has to be...
The back says "18K gold". If it were -plated or -filled and didn't say so, the FTC would drink Tim Cook's blood from a chalice fashioned from his skull. You can take it to the bank that it's solid gold.My guess for what Jony Ive meant by the Swiss being in "deep shıt" (I'm sure that's what he said): Apple plans on charging for the watch plus the actual cost of the gold—rather than many, many times the cost of the gold, as "jewelry" watchmakers do. That would blow the...
Your expertise on the gold and jewelry market is much appreciated, and I agree with you about the investment value of gold.This is the part of your post I don't agree with. The "guts and tech" are not $350. They're selling complete watches with case, internals, crystal, display, battery, and strap for $350. The guts are the smallest part of that, and they actually showed the "S1" module—it's what we used to call 50 years ago a hybrid integrated circuit—everything on one...
It's no use arguing with these guys. I went over to MacRumors for the first time in a couple of years just to see if the regular trolls would be befouling every thread after this announcement. Of course they were. But one guy who was going on about Tim Cook "lisping back and forth all over the stage" gave me an "Aha!" moment. I see where all this animosity comes from now.Sometimes I despair for humanity.
The derail was probably my fault to begin with, anyway.If it's not too late to comment on the actual subject of this thread...I was engaging in a little numerology on the question of 'Why 12"'?'. I don't know the exact diagonal of the 11.6" MBA to the micron, but I can't help noticing that it's Apple's only 16:9 laptop. If they made a 16:10 version (like all their others) the same width, there's enough slop in rounding off that anything that had to be rounded down to 11.6"...
Very true. And as I said upstairs, the electronics will undoubtedly be as easy to replace (in the store) as the battery. I'm sure you could update your watch to the latest technology every year or two, but the case will still be worn by your grandchildren.
And if Apple comes out with solid gold watches, they'll never hear the end of it from the "Apple is overpriced crap" crowd and the cheap-ass Fandroid trolls—so...might as well go for broke if you can't win either way!
As appreciative as I am of your condescension, you haven't the remotest idea of what you're talking about.Admittedly, "half-life" was my own metaphor, but LED lights are rated by the time before the phosphor tires to half the original brightness. The phosphor is pumped by a blue LED, which will probably never "fail", so MTBF, such as you would use for a mechanical part, isn't worth trying to measure.Common ratings for "LED" light bulbs is 20,000 hours—again, before...