or Connect

Posts by Mac-sochist

Speaking of Windows crashes at important events....   This is ancient history now I suppose, but does anybody know how long the BSOD lasted at the Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremonies? Of course on TV we only saw a momentary BSOD and then a cut and the ceremonies resumed immediately, but in the actual stadium, we don't know how long the hiatus was or how long everybody sat there twiddling their thumbs while they frantically pushed ctl+alt+del over and over and...
Just to start with--Rabbit_Coach: Whoever "corrected" you to "free reign" was wrong. It's "free rein", as in horse's rein. Instead of pulling on the reins to tell the horse where to go, you give them enough slack--free rein--that they can go wherever they want.   Main point: Let me get this straight--to get a Surface with 64 GB and the semi-usable keyboard you have to pay $830? Who's going to buy that when a 64 GB MacBook Air is $999, with a real keyboard and a real...
If anyone deserves to be sued, it's the drive manufacturers. Since time immemorial, hard drive capacities had been given in the same way as RAM: 1 Kilobyte = 1024 bytes (2^10). So 1 MB = 2^20, 1 GB = 2^30...by the time you get to TBs, there's a 10% difference.   Then they suddenly started rating their capacities in decimal, so 1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes, not 1,073,741,824 as it always had. Of course, Apple quoted the drive capacities by what the manufacturer called...
I read on a laptop all the time. It's great because unlike an iPad, you can have the page full-width and scroll down—you don't have to have it right in your face. More importantly, you can have more than a few books in a file structure—not a dozen or so in a flat file on a fake shelf.   Also you can utilize various formats, although I've only got four—HTML, PDF, DjVu, and a few Epub*. All free from Project Gutenberg, Internet Archive, Google Books, etc. An iPad could...
I'm not one of the people who said they wouldn't call the original the "iPad". 13-year-old boys might snicker for a week or two, but everybody else would just say "Grow up!" and it would be a non-issue very quickly.   There's no way, though, that they're going to call this the "iPad Mini". "You bring your Mini Pad and I'll bring my Maxi Pad"? No way in Hell.
I remember in the mid-80s, when they were transitioning from 5 micron rules to 3 microns, and dreaming about someday going to 1 micron, they said the absolute physical limit would be quarter-micron rules (250 nm), because the rate of soft errors due to unavoidable radioactive decays in the semiconductor and packaging would become unacceptable below that.   Well, I guess that was baloney, but 20 nm is what? 200 atoms wide? That's getting down there. Quantum jitters...
  If I weren't too lazy, I'd register as "Wigner's Friend" just to say "It's not real until I read it."
  Maybe all these rumors are true. Remember the one that the much-anticipated Apple "TV" was really a new high-tech remote? Maybe the iPad Mini is a Kindle-killer eReader, with iBook Store, and also a remote that knows (or can learn) the control codes of any TV, stream video over Wi-Fi and AirPlay it to a Wi-Fi dongle you plug into your TV's HDMI. It could calibrate your TV by looking at it with the camera and twiddling the settings. Content supplied by the much-rumored...
  My bad! was talking about reading on my old g4 PowerBook. To tell you the truth, I didn't realize iOS didn't have anti-aliasing, because their dot pitch is so fine anyway. Seriously, the pixels on the 9.7" XGA iPad are unresolvable unless you hold it too close and look for them—and I'm over 4 powers farsighted, which means my glasses magnify everything quite a bit.
SolipsismX nailed it. The size is very specific: 7.85". At 163 dpi that's exactly 1024 x 768. Is it a coincidence that the iPad Mini is being introduced (if it is) just as the 3GS drops out of the bottom of the lineup and there's surplus capacity to make 163-dpi mother glass? No way—that's the screen of the iPad Mini.   At the distance you're going to hold it, it will be just fine for reading. I've read hundreds of books on a 15" screen with the same resolution, so...