or Connect

Posts by ltcommander.data

Actually, the timing of events don't support that. The AI opening article said that OPTi stopped their own manufacturing in 2003. The patent was originally filed in 2000 and granted in 2002, so the patent was filed and granted in a period when the company was actively designing and making stuff. http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/6,405,291I'm not an expert on caching algorithms or patents, but OPTi's patent doesn't seem too broad. It's specific to PCI bus...
Maybe part of it is firmware or driver controlled that Apple wrote? Anyways, if the patent system is designed to grant patents for almost anything and rely on the legal system to sort it out after, the jury should at least be made up of people with relevant technical background. Kind of like peer-review reviewed journals. I just don't think the average person could judge whether one cache line access algorithm is similar to another. Either that or the entire patent system...
The iPhone/iPod Touch still has a ways to go to threaten the DS, but it's already coming up against the PSP. http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/090213e.html Sony just announced in February that they had reached 50 million lifetime PSP sales and that is since December 2004. In less than 2 years, iPhone and iPod Touch had reached 37 million. 7 million added in the last quarter. I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone/Touch platform overtakes the PSP within a year. Of...
I thought the entire point of Apple going to all the effort to develop OpenCL and submit it to Khronos for ratification, and push it through in record time, was to deal with both nVidia and AMD GPUs? If Apple didn't want to deal with AMD they could have just integrated C for CUDA support into Snow Leopard. It would certainly have saved Apple a lot of time and effort since C for CUDA is already developed. Instead, C for CUDA isn't officially supported by Apple, although...
What are you talking about? You say 192 cores in nVidia GPUs are good for CUDA yet you say ATI uses a competing standard to OpenCL?ATI is working just as hard to support OpenCL as nVidia, if not harder. As a matter of fact, nVidia is still continuing to promote their own proprietary C for CUDA language whereas ATI has made statements hoping that the industry moves toward standards such as OpenCL. Both of this is sensible on each of their parts since C for CUDA is...
It's actually kind of interesting that the GTX 275 seems to be faster than the HD 4890 on average so I think AMD might have shot too low by clocking the core at 850MHz and should have instead standardized on 900MHz as they have on their official OC versions. It probably wouldn't have been too difficult seeing the many RV790 cores seem to clock well to 1GHz.On that note, it'd be great if AMD released a 1GB HD4890 Mac & PC Edition as a official stock super overclocked...
I read the Ars article when it was first released and commented to the author about his writing that poor Mac game ports were responsible for poor game performance between OS X and Windows, when in fact Call of Duty 4 that he mentions, has similar performance between OS X and Windows on the HD3870 as tested by Barefeats, and Brad Oliver from Aspyr later supported this in his own comments to the author. http://www.barefeats.com/harper22.htmlDrivers as you mention play a...
AMD dropped the MSRP of the 512MB HD4870 to $149 before Apple released the new Mac Pro making the 512MB HD4870 a decidedly mid-range GPU on release. The 1GB HD4870 was $199 and the HD4890 wasn't released yet. In comparison, I'm pretty sure that when Apple first introduced the 8800GT, the PC version was still retailing above $200 making it a performance class card. At the very least, it would have been nice for Apple to have used the 1GB version of the HD4870, especially...
Might actually be interesting to see if your GTX 295 will be functional in OS X once 10.5.7 is released with the drivers for the FX 4800. The GPU cores are from the same family so the GTX 295 might actually work, if only in single GPU mode.
Hmm. Kind of disappointing they didn't release the FX 5800 (240 shaders like the GTX 280 and GTX285) since that is really the direct replacement for the previous Mac FX 5600. The FX 4800 (192 shaders like the original GTX 260) is an impressive card, but it still means the Mac Pro is dropping a speed class in it's Quadro GPU option. This is kind of like the 512MB HD4870, which is a mid-range GPU, and not a higher-end performance class GPU like the 8800GT was when it was...